• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Clover Plots?

Just curious as im getting ready to put in some new clover plots, what type of clover have you fellas had the best luck with? I think im going to use the Provide with chicory this time from EH.... or maybe just straight clover from Whitetail Inst....? Maybe go with the no name stuff... So many choices!

Whats everyone else using? Why? And what kind of soil are you parking it in?

Clover is clover is clover to me. I dont need the buck on the bag to entice me to buy it.

I use RJ Hunt seed out of Wadena. He has a clover mix with 5 different kinds of clover in it. He also has a mix that contains chicory as well.

I like both of them.

My soils are moderate for the most part. Too sandy, and I have just had bad luck with clover when its hot and dry for too long. Burns up bad. As does most stuff in sandy light soils I guess.

Slim,

Where in the state are you planting? If you are in Ag country I have found white clover to work better than red. If you are in the northern part of state you can save a couple bucks and plant red clover. It seem animals up north are not as picky as down south. This is just what I have observed.

Im in central with good soil... Ive always used clovers with several types, white, red, ladino, etc. but this time im putting the plot on the edge of an abandon gravel pit so it appears to be VERY well drained. I think the chickory will work better probably. Thanks for some pointers!

Why not try a mixture of a few clovers?

Our food plot up north last fall was planted with winter rye, ladino, alsike, and a small amount of red clover. I'm curious to see how it looks this spring.

We have had good luck in the past with alsike and ladino up there. The soil is a heavier soil that can be wet at times.

If you are planning on doing a small amount I might go with a Branded type otherwise the field mill stuff is cheaper and seems to work just as good.