• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fish Finder/GPS Unit Recommendations

Korns

It would be helpful if the price range is indicated and what your primary fishing style is.

I would highly recommend the side imaging(Humminbird) or structure scan(lowrance). This is very helpful for finding structure to fish and fish as well in many instances. This allows you to see out from each side of the boat up to 300' (100' works better) instead of just below the boat. These are not cheap by any stretch of the imagination but well worth it if you can swing it.

I primarily fish for walleye and occasionally fish crappies. I have talked to a number of bass fishermen that also find the SI very useful.

There has been a lot of discussion about how bad lowrance service is. I have heard that it is getting better but it would be a cold day... before I'd buy another.

I would highly recommend the side imaging(Humminbird) or structure scan(lowrance).

You asked what was the best...These are the best!

If your willing to spend the money, you'll never look back.

If your not willing the spend the money, what is your price range?

I was leaning towards the Humminbird 858c DI Combo unit for the back mount, and a much cheaper Humminbird for the front mount.

Is side imaging better than the down imaging?

I primarily fish walleyes. If they're not biting or go for a couple of hours and try to find other fish too, but mostly walleye.

I would like to keep the price under $2k.

I am a Humminbird guy and for that money I would get either a 1158DI or a 998SI. I fish with guys that own the Lowrance equivelent an they are good to. Each one has it's plusses and minus. For my money I would go Hbird because of what they have coming out in the future (dont ask, I'm not saying anyways)

You asked about DI vs SI. In a nutshell, SI will really help you locate fish, DI will really tell you if that thing on the bottom under the boat is a rock, weed pile or a fish.

I am also a huge fan of the larger screens. I started out with the 5" like everyone else, then 7s, then 8s and now I use the big 10s and wish I would have started there.

If I really had to choose between the 1158DI and the 998SI, I would give up the larger screen and go with the SI unit. It's that important.

Here is a site sponsor and probably the best prices you can find on the two units I mention.

http://www.profishingsupply.com/combos/humminbird_998c_si.htm

http://www.profishingsupply.com/combos/humminbird_1158c_di.htm