• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hog Jowl

Kidd, i know when i was working at Cub Broadway [Minneapolis] they sold it there frozen unsmoked and also smoked in the refrigerated case. you may be able to order some in a case or just ask if they have what you want on hand. good luck.

Does anyone know where I can buy Hog Jowl, other than ordering through the Internet?

Thanks in Advance.

Check with a small country butcher shop (meat market) It's surprising what they can come up with.

the cub store i mentioned is in a area that has a heavy African American community. it was the only store i ever worked at that had everything you could possibly want for every ethnic needs as far as food was concerned. smoked turky necks, tails, wings, drumsticks,pork neckbones fresh and smoked,chicken feet,beef hoofs,pig tails smoked/fresh,beef tripe [love it],hog maws,pork hock fresh/smoked, ham shanks fresh/smoked, frozen chicken with guts still inside and more. people from India, middle east, and from Mexico also loved this store. i enjoyed working there. good luck.

A smoked Hock goes in my pork and kraut dish I make. The extra flavor is unbelievable. Have in fridge ready to go this weekend... I have a buddy that swears it is the best pork he's eaten... Course the whole dish is incredible... I have converted many kraut haters!

Good Luck!

Ken

i have never tried a smoked hock in krout before. however perhapst it's the same great flavor bacon gives krout. i have posted my recipe for krout with bacon here a few times. i recently made some for a getogether we had on hard water on Grindstone lake. we put it on top of the venison kielbasa a made and it was tasty as always. this particular combo is common for us Germans as a side dish along with blue cabbage, real dumplings, and pot roast. so i can see where a smoked hock can liven up kraut big time.

do you add anything else besides the hocks to the kraut? just wondering for i would love to try this as well. good luck.

I tell you what... I will try to post some pics when I put it together. Pretty easy and darn tastey! I make it at least monthly...

I too do the bacon/kraut thing. Course I stir in some real potatoe dumplings before serving! the guys at deer camp were apprehensive, but I tripled the recipe and still barely had enough!

Good Luck!

Ken

ok great!!. that's a great idea with the real dumplings. when i have leftover dumplings [i usualy make a lot] i put them in the fridge and the next day they firm up some of course. so i usualy fry them in browned bacon with the grease the next day to crisp the outside some nice and brown. when you said you add the dumplings to the kraut this gave me the thought to add browned dumplings to the kraut for another meal. thanks for the tip. good luck.

dont worry about the hijack, kraut goes with bacon or smoked hog jowls [smokked ham hocks too]. i'm using store bought kraut but the refrigerated kind in the meat dept in the plastic bags. to me store bought canned kraut is just not the same. home made even better. if you want the recipe i will post it again [kraut/bacon recipe]. good luck.

dont worry about the hijack, kraut goes with bacon or smoked hog jowls [smokked ham hocks too]. i'm using store bought kraut but the refrigerated kind in the meat dept in the plastic bags. to me store bought canned kraut is just not the same. home made even better. if you want the recipe i will post it again [kraut/bacon recipe]. good luck.

So I guess ribs & sausage are okay with kraut too? I smoke the ribs first, then lay them on a bed of kraut, add the sausage and bake long enough for the sausage to be done.... an hour or so. During the baking part of the cook, the ribs sweat just enough to add some flavor to the kraut.

DSC04466c.jpg

oh yes!!!!that looks awesome. a real German Octoberfest would not be a festival without the krout/bacon on the sausage served. ribs and krout have been part of my life as long as i remember. you are so right that those ribs and the sausage give the kraut a boost of flavor one who has had it could only describe. heck my mom made kraut at home from scratch for years.

plain kraut with caraway seeds was one method she cooked ribs with along with fresh hocks and potatoes. she still makes those meals to this day. that is one heck of a meal you got going there Third Eye. good luck.

I first add my salt/black pepper/herbs and let it sit in fridge for atleast a couple of hours, then I usually grill my pigs feet/hocks on the grill for about an hour or until they start to get crispy. Then the last 5 minutes or so I finish it off with somekind of hot/spicy bbg sauce.

I slow cook it so it's not as hard. If you rush it, it gets kinda tough to bite it.