• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

portable sonar recommendation

thatoneguy

I need to pick up a portable sonar unit (the suction-cup-to-the-transom type) for the annual NW Ontario excursion. I don't need to go high end, but a few nice features wouldn't hurt. It definitely has to be durable and reliable. Any recommendations?

I would go with a Marcum LX-3 . If you purchase the ice pack you can use it in the winter. I often double anchor in the summer and use it exactly like I do on the ice. It will not come with a suction cup but you can rig up something I am sure.

I use my vexilar in similar situations. I think whatever unit you choose that if you can, test out the transducer end of the unit before you go. By that I mean, where it works best on the transom, how the hardware attaches to the transducer and boat.

I had to tinker around with mine for a few reasons, the most irritating was that water kind of mini "rooster" tailed up and back into the boat as I ran across the lake. Also, it wanted to come un attached via suction cups and when you're back trolling that can be a problem.

Better to tinker and be frustrated at home than in Canada.

If you don't need to read depth while under full power, mount the x/ducer slightly above the bottom of the boat. You won't have the rooster tail but when you come off plane, it will be in the water. I use a portable transom bracket with my vexilar in Canada. I have seen suction cup mounts wind up in the prop.

Also, it wanted to come un attached via suction cups and when you're back trolling that can be a problem.

I think my older unit came with the suction cup setup and I never liked it. It did had a cord on it and I would recommend that you set it up so that you can tie it to the boat. The rooster tail thing is also a PITA but you can probably figure out how to avoid that.

There are setups that you can buy that hold it in place on a arm that clamps onto the transom. I made one out of a broomstick and a oar lock that I had to remove when motoring to and from the 'spot.' It worked OK if we were sitting still or trolling slowly.

You can also shoot right through a single hull with your ice transducer as long as you have it in some water, I use my vex and just use a plastic leach container with some water in it and leave some water in the bottom of the boat as well.

Vex also sells a high speed transducer that will zip tie to the bottom of your trolling motor for around $100.