• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wiring up a Control panel

Bambito

So I bought a control panel for my bought and ran into some questions. It has a cigerette plug in and 5 switches for accessories. I am putting in a master switch and just wondering what gauge wire I should use from the battery to the switch and then from the switch to the connector? Also instructions say to Connect neg. from battery to negative stud or buss bar.....is that just a ground? And then do i hook all my grounds from each accessory to that? Thanks in advance?

I'd say 8 gauge wire should work without calculating it exactly. There isn't a heavyu load like there would be on a trolling motor. Use the same gauge to go from the battery to the switch and the switch to th econnector since the amps will be the same. The negative is your ground and it is common to all accessories. You can hook them all into the same place without any problems. Just make sure you have everything properly fused. Good luck.

the reason for the ground to the battery is a couple reasons. one is for rf noise reduction. if you have a bad connection say at a bolt or other item and are connecting your finder or other electronic to it, it will keep the noise down. also if the switches have a light in them, it helps with keeping the power clean to the switch and that little light. if it were mine, i would wire all the grounds to the switch and run the power to the component directly to eliminate the spark.

I installed the same switch panel in my fishing boat over the winter. I opted not to use a master switch and just ran power strait to the panel and have had no problems (I just didn't feel the master switch was needed for my situation).

I used 12 gauge wire for most of my connections and 16 gauge for a few like my bilge, livewell and electronics, and all of those had very small wires standard with them.

I ran all of my grounds to a bolt just so I could attach them or remove easier in the future and then ran a wire from the bolt to the negative on my battery. All switches and accessories work great and it was very easy to figure out once I got the first thing hooked up. The panel works great and is very nice with all the fuses included. Good luck.

To hijack the thread for a second, where did you two get your controll panels and what type of boat are you putting these in?

I have a boat with bench seats that I would like to add one too, I just haven't been able to find one I liked.

I bought mine through Cabelas. I put it in my 18 foot starcraft (1971). I thought about not put in a master switch but everyone I have talked to says to do it that way you can shut the power off to the whole thing. What does everyone else think? Forger the master switch or put it in? Thanks everyone!

I bought mine from the same store. It is a very good quality panel, and works great so far. I heard from others about the master switch also but still decided to skip it. It would be nice though if you're worried about powering on certain accessories when not in use. I would say that I thought the master switch supplied was kind of cheap looking and would have found a different one if I was installing it.

I installed it on a 14' v hull, that is a combo fishing/duck boat, and has been fully remodeled. 5 switches= bilge pump, livewell pump, cockpit lights, and front docking/spotlights, and one free switch still to be decided in the future.

Nate... yea I took your advice and skipped the master switch. Everything works great I am just a little worried about shorts and traveling down the road and across the lake. Dont need any rubbing, sparks, and fires! Thanks for the advice!

I would think the master switch would be more for making sure you weren't running your batteries down by electronics that are always drawing power, radios for example.

Now that I sit here and think about it, it might be nice to have one in there in case there is an electrical fire.

Just my half-penny tho...