• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where to find the weight of a motor???

LOTWSvirgin

Ok i have always had a 20ho mercury on my boat Until this year I bought a 40 honda 4stroke the boat is rated for a 40 but I am guessing at the time it was rated for a 40hp 2 stroke So can anyone tell me where I can find what a 40hp mercury 2 stroke from around 1987???

Check out the NADA site. They list the values and weights of outboards there.

I just went through this and know the 1985 Tracker v16 I have is rated for 40hp, and the 85' Merc 20hp that was on it was 100 lbs. The 35-50 hp Merc 2 strokes of that era weighed around 145-155 lbs. I just installed a 2006 Yamaha 25 4 stroke which weighs 150 lbs. The 2006 Yamaha 40hp 4 stoke weighs in at 191 lbs and I think would be too heavy for the boat I have.

I know the 2003 Honda 40 4 stroke weighs in at 198 lbs as I looked into them a little. I would say that Honda you bought is roughly 50-60 lbs heavier than the 40 2 stoke of that era.

I personally think it could be too heavy, but I don't know exactly how the ratings are determined for HP on a boat and have no info to back up my thought on it. You may want to see if anyone else here responds or maybe check with Tracker to see what they have to say.

My boat is an 85' Bass Tracker mod V16 tiller and I notice the transom flexing a little more with the 25hp Yamaha on the back vs the Merc 20 that was on there and that was only a 50lb increase to 150lb.