• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Smart to put new motor on an old boat?

Queenswake

I have a 1990 Alumacraft Lunker v16 LTD. It has a 1991 40HP Nissan. I've had problems with this motor from day one with starting. It acts like it plugs up with oil. I'll pull and pull and finally when it goes, a huge plume of blue smoke comes out. Sometimes 30 minutes after killing it, I'll go through the same routine. I've tried everything. Thinking the oil was sinking to the bottom of the tank, I've shaken the can vigorously to mix the fuel and oil. Tried using premium gas, tried seafoam. Just when I think one thing is fixing the problem (using premium gas), I have the same problem again. It pulls hard and I often end up with blistered hands.

Long story short, I am tired of the battle. The motors runs great once she is running, but I'm tired. But, what do I put on it. It looks like a new 40 HP will be in the 5-6K range. Which seems kind of foolish to put on a boat only worth probably 3K.

Are there any good places to buy used outboards in the cities? Or do you think it's worth it to pay big bucks for a new motor on an older boat.

Last question, if I did get a 4-stroke, since they are heavier than 2-stroke, if the boat is rated at 40 HP, can I still go 40HP with a 4-stroke or will that be pushing the transom weight capacity.

Thanks.

Newer engines are lighter and for some reason work really well on older boats. Have an old Lind pike that had a 86' 40 Johnson on it moved up a bunch of horses to a 94' 75 mariner wow it jumps on plane and passes 90 HP boats with ease....

Newer engines run so much better than the older ones. If your happy with the boat than just buy a newer motor. or price out a new lunker with a new motor, prolly would only be a few bucks more once you sold your other rig

Upgrading to a new motor on an older boat is almost always a big money looser in the long run. The only way it'd be worth it financially is if you plan to keep the boat for many years.

You are almost always better off to sell or trade your current boat / motor / trailer setup and go with something else that suits your tastes.