• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

flu flu type bait question?

mrpike1973

hi i mostly fish sunfish. i have not had as much luck with flu flu or hair jigs they seem to big. i use the smallest ones i can find. i have most luck with aberdeen hooks and ice fly type lures. i do tip with wax worms is it just me or is this a really good bait that i cant figure out. some use tube jigs ive never caught on fish on one of those thanks for the help

It depends on the size of the bait. And the size of the fish. And how aggressive they are

I have great luck on 1" grubs and tubes, and small flu-flu jigs when fishing vertically in colder water, or casting and retrieving when they are a bit more aggressive later in summer.

Love Flu-Flu's they are my go to lure for panfish in the summer. Tipped with a small crappie minnow drifted or slow retrieve for crappies. For sunnies I use a power grub and slow drag along the bottom.

Yellow and green my favorite !

i think they are great baits. never had much luck with them on hard water, but i dont use them as much at that time. during open water they work great for panfish. i put a gulp [hot dog type] grub on there also and it makes even a bigger difference. good luck.

full-3086-19364-hannahsjigs.jpg

As a hobby for us to use for fishing crappies and sunnies, my seven year old daughter and I tie hair and feather jigs. Colors are fun to mix and match. You can tie some for about 15 to 18 cents each (just figuring materials). It's an easy an addicting fishing hobby! Try it! There are many youtube and websites out there to show you how.

I love flu flus early in the year for panfish that are a bit finicky as to the presentation. First the colder the water the smaller you want to go and you are looking for a slow drop. A good way to achieve this is work a 1/64th-1/16th flu flu under a slip bobber oftentimes just a 1-4' under the bobber. I like to tip with a waxie in cold water to give a bit more scent to the fish. A small bobber is key and use as small a bobber as you can get away with. The bobber acts as a strike indicator as well as an additional way to present the bait. You can make a long slow pull which brings the jig back to the bobber and let it fall slowly to where the fish are or you can use a slow retrieve barely moving the bait and keeping it in the strike zone but still covering a bit of water. Sometimes it is the lift drop that triggers the fish, sometimes it is the stationary bait after the fall and other times it is the slow undulating movement of the jig bouncing under the bobber that will get you bit. I fish Flu-flu's from ice out till ice up and they are effective when paired with a bit of bait and at times without any bait at all. Once the water heats up, the fish will go after a jig more aggressively and then you can get bit without tipping them but you increase your odds by using a bit of scent like a piece of angle worm or minnow. It is another presentation that requires a bit of experimentation but once you start hooking up with it you won't fish plain hooks and bobbers as often.

Tunrevir~