• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Enjoyed a little golf with my son!

Eckie

Got a green light Sunday afternoon to go play golf...as I was heading out the door my son asked if he could go with.

I have to admit, I was a bit apprehensive about taking him to the "big" course. He's 6 (7 in August),takes lessons and has played on par 3 courses, but never on a regulation course. Nevertheless, I loved the idea and how could I tell him no?

I took him to the course (my home course is Rush Creek) and wanted to keep things fun so I opted for 9 holes and rented a cart - he'd never ridden in one and of course, thought it was a blast. The guys at the course even allowed him to play for free.

I was so impressed with his play and his swing, I couldn't stop smiling the entire time. He legitimately bogey'd one of the par 4's and hit a drive 104 yds on number 9. Only one lost ball and all but one shots were straight were in the fairway. Only trouble he had was putting - which on those greens isn't easy for an advanced golfer.

Here's a pic of him teeing off on number 9. What a great day!

2nh22pi.jpg

Awesome!! Keep encouraging him, but be ready for hime to start beating you in a few years. If possible and you have it in your area,and you can; get him into jr. golf. My son had to get up very early so i could drop him off before i went to work( i started at 7:00 am) to play the weekly tournaments. He loved every minute of it !!

Fantastic!! Great to see a child introduced to a great activity, plus its something you will be able to do together for the rest of your life.

My 4 year old daughter is going to start riding on the cart with me this summer. I'll let her bring her nerf putter/ball and putt when I am on the greens.

Thanks, everyone!

Delmuts -- He's already registered for his 2nd year of lessons, which incorporates play on Rush Creek's new par 3 course.

His 5 yr old sister asked if she could play too -- which of course, my answer was obviously yes...

CJH -- if you look into a real set of clubs for her -- I just bought my daughter a set of Hello Kitty clubs, with bag, headcovers, etc. It was a bit spendy, but it was my one shot at 'selling' golf to her. She'll have it for a few years, it's pink and she loves Hello Kitty. She also has a little sister who will be able to use them later. US Kids Golf are also great clubs and can sometimes be found used -- Nick's first set was the red US Kids set.

Thanks for the info Eckie! I'll definitely check into your club recommendations. Plan on just exposing her this year, then maybe start her with lessons or a program in a year of two.

Pretty awesome Eckie!

I know the feeling, daughter just started Jr high golf this year and 1st meet this week.

Told by her coach that there was very little to improve on with her swing.

Mom and Dad have very little time to score lower than her.

That picture of your son is awesome!