• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tv for Wheelhouse

gamberc

Just looking for some ideas on a decent tv for my wheelhouse. Im looking at the 12volt tv's my question is can they work on both 110 volt and 12 volt. Id like to run the tv on batteries but when I start the generator i want to run it on the generator. Just curious what everyone else has.

I have an 8x16 Mille Lacs ice castle for the people who have the same model whats the biggest you could fit in yours.

I have a 8x16 and I have a 24inch lcd that works very well, not to big not to small. I just use an inverter off my batteries when the generator isn't running. TVs don't use many watts. My satelite also runs off the inverter. There isn't any need for 12v-110v tv.

I do the same. Run the TV off a power inverter all of the time (as well as a fan), then freshen the batteries when needed with the generator.

It isn't necessary to switch back and forth.

I have a few buddies that have their tv's hooked up only to 120v, and they end up running their generators almost non-stop.........I would rather put the wear and tear on a $50 power invertor than a $900 generator.....

Hope this helps!

I just use batteries only with an inverter. I get 3 days out of 2 large deep cycle batteries running the tv and satellite box. With my charger(10 amp) the batteries charge at about 6-8 hours each so if I were to use a generator to charge I would still get much more time without the generator on.

very good point B-man. Question do you run a power strip off your inverter then to plug everything else into it like your satilette etc.

Kind of..... I have a regular extension cord male replacement end on the end of the Romex that powers two outlets (four sockets) behind the tv.

The inverter also makes some humming (from it's own fan to keep it cool), so it is nice to have it under a cabinet or in a cupboard to reduce some of the noise (at least a few cubic feet of room so it can't overheat).

If your lucky there is a junction box (or breaker panel) under a counter. You can then tap directly into the wire that powers your outlets near the tv. This would eliminate any "ugly" extention cords and power strips going from the inverter to the tv.

You would also need access to your battery source somewhere close (or you will have to run new wires).

Hope this makes some sense!! ???

I just did a search on '12 volt TVs' and found a lot on the web, and most of them have 110v convertors, so you can run off of either 12 or 110 volts, so my question is, why even bother with an invertor?? Won't the TV run just as well on the 12 volts?? When using the invertor, don't you 'lose' some power in the conversion??

I put a on-board charger into my Ice Castle, hooked to my two batteries. When I get home, I plug it in. Some day when I get a generator, I'll just charge the batteries sometime during the day but continue to plug a TV into the 12 volts.

So what are the pros and cons of using an invertor vrs an onboard charger?

If your tv has the option for 12 vdc you should use it if not an inverter. You are right that the inverter will use more power than the tv on 12vdc alone.

The TV I have has only a 12vdc jack on it and it came with a ac adapter to use 120 vac.

There a lot more options available in tvs if you don't limit yourself to tvs that run on 12vdc.

I would recommend a tv with as low a watt rating as possible to keep the power consumption down. Mine is a 10 inch flat screen that is rated 10 watts. I would stay less than 20 watts if you can.

Looking like apples and oranges I guess. Just a tad bigger than 10". full-283-19423-2012_04_1218.30.04.jpg

Biggest we could get with built in DVD. Might have went a size or two bigger if we had remembered to have house built with DVD stereo installed.

I just picked up a 12v 22" 1080p dvd combo off of Amazon. I love it. I can run it for a weekend off a deep cycle battery. Nexa is the brand I went with - they seem to specialize in 12v applications. It also came with a 110 converter so I am using it in my man cave as a second TV during the warmer months. I'll probably use the TV in the car on road trips with the kids too.

Looking like apples and oranges I guess. Just a tad bigger than 10". full-283-19423-2012_04_1218.30.04.jpg

Biggest we could get with built in DVD. Might have went a size or two bigger if we had remembered to have house built with DVD stereo installed.

Ya You probably want to run a generator with that unit. I value my peace and quiet on the ice so I would rather go light on the tv size.

That tv would sure be fun to hook up to an underwater camera!

I'm sure he will have no problem running it off an inverter.

My little 400 watt inverter runs a 19" tv, 120v fan (about 10"), black light flourecent bulb (for charging jigs), dvd/surround sound with sub-woofer, antenna booster, and X-box, all at the same time. I've never added up how many watts they all draw, but it's gotta be near max load???

It's not a real nice inverter either, just a cheap "Peak 400".

I value my peace and quiet on the ice so I would rather go light on the tv size.

Good call if you're doing day or overnight trips. We travel 5-6 hours and spend 3-4 days on the ice. Pretty nice to have local tv on the satellite and movies. I most definitely am not the type to stare at a flasher screen for hours on end. Honda genny is in the truck bed under the topper with side screens opened just enough to give it air.

how do most of you guys mount your tv's with the swivel mount? To me it seems like enough bouncing and it will end up on the floor.

I don't have the swivel mount, but don't trust the locking tab that holds the tv in place.....

Found that out the hard way..........

It fell four feet and on the way ripped the male coax right out of the tv. I was able to take the tv apart and solder/JB Weld everything back into place. The power cord survived because it is made to unplug from the tv.

Now I have a 1"x4" between the top of the tv and the bottom of the shelf above it. If it unlatches again it cannot bounce up and off the wall bracket.

With my swivel mount I took the TV and set it on the base mount then with the swivel mount attached to the TV I found the stud and while sitting on the TV shelf that Ice Castles have I marked the holes and removed the mount from the tv so I could get the lag bolts into the wall (predrilling is important!) This way the TV has the swivel capabilities when camping, hunting, and ice fishing, but also I have the base under it (which is only setting on it not screwed together) which lets the shelf take some of the jolting while going down the hwy and bouncing on the ice or gravel roads for hunting. I don't know if it is the way to go, but I figured any extra support is better? I left the base on the bottom unattached so I can loosen one lock and be able to pivot the screen up/down depending on what I want. So far it has worked great. Camping and little one's bed time tilt it down towards her bunk till she falls asleep, then back up and swivel it so we can catch the news or a movie in the back bed. If I had a 24' I think I would want a bigger screen or just 2 TV's ... I went with a 19" led so I could swivel it for the side bunks and the back or otherwise it would hit the wall before I could see it from the back table. Have fun shopping! The one's with the built-in dvd player are a must with kids unless you run a satellite dish!