• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

another moose question

I just briefly scanned thru the regs and was specifically looking for draws procedures. What i got was that it is a random drawing. Is there no weighted 'preference points' until you have 10 years of drawing?

I would love to do the hunt but have zero time this year. If it is a random draw, my chance is just as good this year as year nine, correct?

Also, if you get drawn and dont purchase the tag, are you out your 'once in a life time' chance?

so my questions are 1. is there a preference weight to years applied? 2. if you get drawn, is that your one chance?

thanks fellas.

If you get drawn, that is your one chance. No preference points until you have applied unsuccessfully ten years, and everyone in the party must have applied unsuccessfully at least ten years. Disclaimer: I have not looked at this years regs, since I have had my once in a lifetime chance; but I highly doubt either of these two things have changed.

The way the moose population is dropping, I am afraid this hunt will be history in just a few short years, hope I am wrong.

Crow Hunter

Like Crowhunter said, it's a totally random draw until you have tried unsuccessfully for 10 years.

You might want to contact the DNR on your second question. I am thinking that if you get drawn and decide not to hunt, your license will go to an alternate and you will be able to enter the lottery again. I think that the law reads that once you purchase a license, then you are done. Your best bet would be to make a phone call or send an email to find out for sure, though.

If you wanted to apply, but not get drawn, there are zones with very low draw odds you could apply for. Honestly, I doubt there will be a moose hunt in 10 years, so it probably wouldn't do you much good. If I were you, I would just wait until I'm ready to hunt to start applying.