• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question about rod length for fast trolling cranks

Hoffer

Hey you guys that use rod holders and do some fast trolling. I have a question for you.

I have always just used my 7 foot baitcasting set up for the rod holders and have had good luck with that.

However, I was just out at the Rogers sports store and noticed they have their brand of walleye rods on sale. The nice thing is they come in a variety of lenghts - all the way up to 9 foot I think.

So, I do a lot of fast trolling with deep diving lures. Do you guys use longer rods for this? Is a longer rod probably better? I am thinking if I got the lures another 1.5 feet out from the boat maybe that would make a difference? I also could use them if I needed for my downrigging set up. Thanks for any advice - I just wanted to check here before pulling the trigger.

Hoffer

Pulling cranks is always option #1 for me! I bought 8 1/2 foot medium action rods equipped with line counter reels, both rods were combos from Scheels! Mine are not heavy enough for downrigging but with braided line and a big TailDancer I can get down to almost 30 feet!! I pull anywhere from 1.5 to a little over 3 mph with no problems!!

I have both short-5' and longer-8' trolling rods. Nice when you have more than 2 in the boat and one can get ones crank out a ways from the boat. Had a buddy who used a 14ft rod for crank trolling.

If one can get thier crank out a bit farther from the boat, that surely will hurt nothing.

I think I am going to head out and pick up a 9 footer this afternoon. How is it fighting and reeling in a fish with a longer rod like that? I guess it shouldnt be too different - I use a longer one like that for downrigging, but was just wondering if its a little weird fighting walleyes with that length? Does it add any more risk to losing a fish if its a longer length with more back and forth flex? Last, what do you guys go with....a "medium" action? or is a heavier action better for the longer rod lengths?

Thanks!

If you are only going to run one rod or one rod per side then there really isn't much of a reason to run a long rod. You can get the lure away from the boat with planer boards if that is an concern and that would get the lure out farther away than long rod can.

With that being said, I do run 10' rods on my outside lines when running leadcore. Fighting a fish isn't any different than with shorter rods but where the disadvantage comes in is when landing the fish with such long rods. The angle of the line to the fish when it gets close to the boat gets to be pretty severe, and you will pull the lure out of the fishes mouth a few times until you figure out the technique that you need for your boat.

I have the person that is reeling in the fish walk up to the windshield, hold the rod at a 60 degree angle and keep the line right over my outside shoulder. If it is a large or poorly hooked fish I may have them walk up to the front deck and keep the rod lower to lessen the line angle on the fish.