• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

who bear hunts or lives in area 51 of MN

Hey Guys.........

I'm going to be hunting MN bear for the first time this year and need to pick an area and an outfitter soon. I have 3 points, so I should be fine with any areas I'm considering. I can't find why area 51 would be a bad choice, plus it is alot closer drive to and from where I'm traveling from. Who can describe the differences between area 51 and some of the other areas a few hours further north. Are there more people in the woods? Is the landscape not quite the same as further north? Why would someone drive past 51 to get to an area near the top of the state? I hope to find some guys who either live in or hunt in 51 that can talk about pros or cons? How would 51 look or feel different from areas like 25 or 26? If any of you are going to give it a thumbs up, then I wouldn't mind hearing of any outfitters that you'd recommend from past experience.

Thanks.

We been hunting that area for years now. We use to hunt at our old cabin between Cook and Orr before moving to area 51.

What I've noticed...51 has more pressure and more outdoor enthusist which put the bear farther off the trails and turns them into "night" bears quickly. Hunting weekends is/was tough for us cause all the extra foot traffic, 4 wheelers, pleasure riders, horse riders...And by small game opener, the bear get very skiddish.

Up north you'll be competeing less with other beer hunters. Up north was easier to bait cause you could ride on trails and hunt 20 yards off them cause no one else was around. made dragging alot easier also (some old hunters...yes). Seem to get more "multiple" bears at one station up north as well.

We've (someone in our group) always gotten one in 51 every time...or multiple. Best advice to give is to just get away from everything out there, avoid public areas with public roads/trails. Find a small 40 that most overlook or a larger track that has no trials and no easy access...though that makes baiting and taking one out a pain! Plan on hunting the weekdays vs weekends if possible. Most bird hunters are gone by night which is when you mostly hunt but it pushes the bears deep and into night feeders.