• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sportsman 400

lovetoicefish

Looking for some help. Have a 2003 Sportsman 400 with 494 miles on it. Lately I've noticed a definite "squeek" from one of the rear wheels when in forward or reverse, it's hard to tell which wheel for sure. My Son thinks that the left rear has a slight wobble, I haven't noticed that. It's not a constant squeek, only when the wheel reaches a certain spot when turning. Anyone had the same experience, info on what it could be or what I can do to possibly determine possibilities of what's causing the squeek?

More than likely the brake. Try driving it at slow speed till you hear it squeaking and then apply the brake slightly if the squeak goes away then there you go. Pretty common. Sometimes a piece of grit gets stuck in the brake pad and squeaks on the rotor. The brake rotors are not excactly flat on purpose, there is a certain amount of runout on the brake disk in order to kick the pads out when you let off the brakes.

Just an FYI, jack up the rear of you quad and grab the tire to wiggle it back and froth. It could be a wheel bearing, Sportman's are notorious for rear wheel bearings going out. You can also get a wheel bearing cheaper from a auto parts store than the polaris dealer.

Thanks guys for taking the time to give me an idea of what the problem may be. I'm going to pull the back wheels off and check for dirt/grit and brake pads to make sure they aren't sticking. Will post result, maybe help someone else with the same problem. Thanks again!