• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

burned slash pile plot?

Last winter I burned a large slash pile on my land left over from logging, now it is a mix of dirt and ash. If I broadcast clover seed or another type food plot seed on it, is it likely to grow? I have not checked the ph of what is there, however. THe soil on my land is quite sandy. Thanks for any opinions.

If I broadcast clover seed or another type food plot seed on it, is it likely to grow?

Probably not, the ash is probably way too thick and deep. You'll need to spread the ash around and work it into the soil if you want anything to grow there.

I agree... the ash would most likely need to be worked into the soil and then a soil test done. They are inexpensive and probably the most important step to insure plot success. Sandy soils are tough to get real good plots goin. Then tend to be 'sterile' in regards to nutrients in the soil and and because the nutrients easily leach through the soil column, sand has trouble holding the nutrients in the plants roots zone.

It is amazing how often I see the amount of work a guy will put into a plot, the cost of seed and equipment and skip the $40.00 soil test... start with that, determnine what seed you want to plant and follow the recommendations and you should have a plot that works well.

Good Luck!

Ken

I'll make it unanimous. To add to what Ken said, sandy soils tend to hold nutrients poorly in part because there isn't much negatively charged clay for the positively charged cations to adhere to. There are no "dog-ions" BTW... wink Ash tends to contain a fair amount of phosphorus and in particular potassium (hence the name "potash") which is not particularly mobile if no rainfall occurs to move it intot the soil profile. We'll stop our little intro to soil chemistry right there. Suffice it to say incorporating it into the soil would be advantageous as would submitting a soil sample after you've done that. A link to the U of M Soil Testing Lab:

http://soiltest.cfans.umn.edu/

Back in December I sat through a presentation by soil scientist John Lamb detailing the U's new fertilizer guidelines which are also now available online. I had to chuckle a little when he announced that the new guidelines also included a section for wildlife food plots. The soil testing lab was getting so many requests for recs that they figured it was necessary. It's on page 39 of this link.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/nutrient-management/Docs/BU-06240-S-1.pdf