• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Travel dilema

I am planning on smoking either a pork butt or a brisket for a group of 10 or more guys. I work from home and can manage my smoker throughout the day. I have a three hour drive from my house to the cabin. I work until 4 pm on Thursday and want to bring up a late dinner for everyone in Thursday and leftovers for lunch Friday. If I do a brisket, can I start it in the oven for the first 3-4 hours and put on the smoker, or is it better to just start on the smoker and then finish in the oven. I have an offset smoker that requires restoking the charcoal every 1.5 hours or so. I would get a lot more sleep if I could start it in the oven instead. I assume I can wrap the brisket in tinfoil and make my 3 hour drive. Can I do the same with a pork shoulder as well. Secondly, what is the best way to reheat for leftovers?

What I have done in the past is to smoke it for 4-6 hours and finish in the oven. Let it cool down and refrigerate. On you travel day throw it in a crock pot on low. When its time to go I like to put the crock pot in a box and insulate with a blanket so it will not move or lose heat. It should still be plenty warm when you get there. Great way to heat it up the next day as well.

I prefer to finish it in the smoker, both brisket and butt, when they reach the desired temp take them out and wrap in foil, then wrap them in a large beach towel, then place them in a cooler that has a nice tight fitting lid. You will be amazed at how long it will stay hot. I do this for one of the retrievers clubs that I'm active with. I take it out at around 6 AM and it will still be very hot at dinner time...

I am planning on smoking either a pork butt or a brisket for a group of 10 or more guys. I work from home and can manage my smoker throughout the day. I have a three hour drive from my house to the cabin. I work until 4 pm on Thursday and want to bring up a late dinner for everyone in Thursday and leftovers for lunch Friday. If I do a brisket, can I start it in the oven for the first 3-4 hours and put on the smoker, or is it better to just start on the smoker and then finish in the oven. I have an offset smoker that requires restoking the charcoal every 1.5 hours or so. I would get a lot more sleep if I could start it in the oven instead. I assume I can wrap the brisket in tinfoil and make my 3 hour drive. Can I do the same with a pork shoulder as well. Secondly, what is the best way to reheat for leftovers?

The butt will be an easier cook than a brisket. But For either one I would recommend starting in the smoker. You will be able to get better smoke flavor on cold meat, and better color too.... and if you are thinking of visual appeal, the smoke ring stops forming at 140°, if you start in the oven you can't get a smoke ring (unless you want to use a little Tenderquick).

As mentioned above, heavy meats wrapped in foil and holding in a cooler with newspaper or a blanket for 3 hours is no problem at all. I generally hold my briskets that long before slicing and I have a two hour minimum on butts. I usually add liquid to the foil (apple juice for a butt, and au jus for a brisket). When you open the pouch later you will have some fantastic juice to serve with the BBQ meat.