• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Broken Garage Door Spring

I won't touch them due to the amount of tension that it requires for the certain size door. My double door broke last year, with the spring, new cables, new hinge and PM, it was 150 bucks. If you have never done the spring repair do not attempt it can take your head off quick.

I've done it a number of times and it isn't all that hard.

First thing you have to do is to make sure that you get the correct replacement spring. Consider taking the one one good one off and take it with you when you go to buy your parts. You also want to give consideration to replacing both springs. Check the cables to see if they have a lot of corrosion or fraying and if they do replace them as well.

You need two pieces of round steel rod that are sized to fit the holes in the devices at the end of the spring. Put tension on the good one and while holding the tension you loosen the set screws that keep the device from rotating. Then loosen the spring. Count the number of times you move the bars so when it is time to put the new one on you can rotate it the same number of times. Tighten it that many times and then tighten the set screws. Repeat on the other side.

Make sure that the cables are properly positioned on the drums at the end of the torsion bar. It helps to have someone hold that bar while you're tightening the springs as the bar has a tendency to rotate and the cables slip off.

If you can't understand what I've written do the Google and you'll find a number of sites that give directions. There's probably even a video someplace to show it.

If this sounds to be too much then hire it out.

You will find all kind of opinions on this about how dangerous it is and that you need to hire it out. When I was in this position recently I read all the stuff and didn't want to mess with it.

Knowing what I know now, I would just do it myself. If you take the necessary precautions, it's not much more dangerous than a lot of things you do around the garage.

Yes, you need to be careful, but it is pretty easy. Plenty of vids on YouTube to help out.

think i gotta broken garage door spring, garage door goes up 1 inch then stops, looks like i have a 4 inch gap in middle of spring on right side above door. Cost, do it yourselfer project, hire a pro?
Sounds exactly what ours did when it broke.

I'm sure you could do it yourself. wink

The garage door guy we had fix ours said he only got knocked off the ladder or hit in the head or face a few times when the holding bars let go when adjusting the new springs! shocked

But, i'm sure that wouldn't happen to you! whistle

The hard part will be taking the old one off. The over head door I put on my shed had a spring that ez to put in. I used a drill to tighten the spring and the spring had painted line on it when it was tight the painted line all lined up.

Thx all....im having it done. with 3 kids under 7 that never leave me alone, i dont want them out there when its being worked on so im hiring it out. Found place to replace both including install for $175 & include lifetime warranty replacement for extra heavy duty torsion springs. my big decision on this is to keep kids away while its being worked on and if i tried myself they would be constantly trying to help and i would spend just as much time removing them from area constantly as i would working on it probably. $75 to have it done by a pro in an hour sounds good to me

I too have replaced these springs several times. Like said in earlier posts, It is very simple but, be very careful. Do not stand straight behind the collar that you are winding up. If one of the rods slips out of your hands, it won't be pleasant.

I suggest you replace both springs. You want a matched set. I replaced only one once, to save a buck, the following year the other one broke. Take the good spring with you to be measured.

As far a measuring. Usually you wind up the spring, to match the doors height. Meaning 7 foot door usually gets 7 full revolutions (each spring). Or when you take the not broken spring off, just count as you unwind it. Also you can a Sharpie marker and draw a line all the way across it. That way if you use that same spring you'll have the correct amount of turns when it lines back up.

After your all done. lift your door manually up about halfway. It should stay there. If it falls wind the spring 1/4 turn to each side. If goes up loosen the spring 1/4 turn on each side.

Wind the springs equal amount of turns.

I just put one in over the week end. No big deal, went to Menards, bought the spring, came back home, unbolted the middle pulley to put the cable in and hook the spring on, restrung the cable around the pulleys, fastened the other end of the spring to the heavy, open eyebolt, done. probably took me 15 minutes if that.

When you are working on the door it is in the up position, so there isn't enough tension on that spring to really worry about....but, if that bad boy is in the down position and decides to break? From the damage I've seen them do, I believe they have the potential to kill a person if it hit em right. This isn't something you have to worry about with a new spring, but once they get fatigued after alot of use......

I just put one in over the week end. No big deal, went to Menards, bought the spring, came back home, unbolted the middle pulley to put the cable in and hook the spring on, restrung the cable around the pulleys, fastened the other end of the spring to the heavy, open eyebolt, done. probably took me 15 minutes if that.

When you are working on the door it is in the up position, so there isn't enough tension on that spring to really worry about....but, if that bad boy is in the down position and decides to break? From the damage I've seen them do, I believe they have the potential to kill a person if it hit em right. This isn't something you have to worry about with a new spring, but once they get fatigued after alot of use......

No Grebe, those are extension springs. We are talking about torsion springs. But you are right, extension springs are extremely easy to replace!

As stated, you have extension springs. I'll do those myself any time, like you said, simple and easy. BUT, be sure you have the safety cable installed too; VERY important!! It's that extra cable that goes through the middle of the spring and is attached to something solid at both ends. It holds the spring in place in case a cable breaks. I learned about those the hard way when a spring without the safety cable broke and went through the back window of my car sitting in the garage. Thank god it didn't hit anyone.