• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Planer board question

I have a new set of offshore planer boards. I have heard replacing the clips on the boards with Church Tackle clips will help hang on to superlines. Who has done this and which church tackle releases did you use?

I understand the church tackle may be easier to use and less expensive than using the clips from Offshore.

Those clips work well and are easy to use, but the Off Shore OR18 is a better clip. Two bad it so expensive.

They should just put the "Snappers" (OR18) on the boards to start with.

If you still can't get a superline to hold, wrap it around the clip once.

Thank you for the input! I appreciate the picture as well.

Are most running superlines or regular mono for fishing. Since posting I talked to another source and they suggested maybe running mono. Seems it would be easier on the clips, but not allow the baits to dive as well. Tradeoffs I guess.

Those clips work well and are easy to use, but the Off Shore OR18 is a better clip. Two bad it so expensive.

That place called Northwoods has the OR18 for $10.00 a piece. I like using them with PowerPro. I did use a set of Church's with my Torpedos out on Lake Superior. They worked great but the PP ended up wearing away the plastic. I guess the Church's need to have something metal on the one end. Still they are very easy to take on and off.

I run both mono and superbraids and leadcore with my board setups depending on the depths I'm fishing. If you have uniform trolling areas and know the typical baits you want to run and the dive curves you can always tie in a segment of superbraid and then hook the board to the mono backing.

The tension is adjustable on the OR releases by sliding the spring foreward towards the pinch clip but not nearly as adjustable as the church releases. Another option is to put the braids behind the little peg in the middle of the OR clips or use a rubber band looped off the braid versus the braid itself to secure it into the clip. Rubber bands can be a bit of a pain though sometimes they snap prematurely.

Tunrevir~

I run braid, mono and lead, and as mentioned above, it all depends on what I'm doing.

If I am pulling small cranks over cabbage, I will use braid because you will hit some of the cabbabe and the no stretch braid will free the lure with a quick tug, or if I am trying to run the lures in a more snaggy (rocks, trees) situation I will use braid.

If the water is clear I will use mono and if needed with snap weights to get the lures to the proper depth.

And then there is lead.

With braid you will need to run the line thrugh the clip twice to keep it in place.

Thank you for the input. Sounds like I can start with either braid or mono and be ok. Not familiar with northwoods, but will do some surfing.

If I had a lot of money, which I don't, I suppose I could just buy additional reels to use with the planer rods. Have a set with mono and a set with braid. I was planning for some lead core in the future, but will be using snap weights for now.

Great point on the snap weights and I'm talking more about them with cranks rather than blades. I'm going to mess around with the blades more this year. But I did the cranks last year and it worked great. What an easy way to get extra depth on your crank. For those that don't know this here is the scoop. Place a 1 oz snap weight 20 feet in front of your crank. You will get 33% more depth on your crank. It's very easy in combo with the trolling bible. In essence if you want to get a #7 shad rap to 16 feet down you find the dive curve number of 12 feet. 1/3 of 12 feet is obviously 4 so now you have your 16 feet.

I think if I could only have one set up, I would probably start out with a 14-15lb mono. I say that because mono is easier to learn with and is cheap, you can get by with the regular snaps and is generally more forgiving.

If I could only have two setups, I would have one fireline with 10' mono leader and a leadcore with 10' fireline leader. If I could only have 8 setups........

Snap weights/three ways and trolling weights will get mono to whatever depth you need but they are one more thing in the system that can/will cause trouble and lost fish. Another option is the Off Shore Tadpole diving weights.

I have not used the tadpoles but think that they would be the ticket for mono on the mudflats.

Don't forget that if you are using mono/fireline you will need to know the dive curve of the lures that you are using. The paper version of the trolling bible is now out of production and is going all digital so if you can find the book hurry up and get one if you don't have one already.

One more thing, consider adding the telltale flag to your planer board. It makes reading your lures that much easier.

Its alittle stiffer and easier to work with during the learning curve, and if you look at the bible, there isn't that much difference in depth when using the bigger line. You can find some mono that is made smaller so you can get 14-15 lb test that has the same diameter at 10 lb test, and it's all about the diameter anyways and not the test weight.

Plus, the 14 will have less stretch than the 10 pound stuff. When trolling 140' it is unbelievable how much stretch there is in the line.

Makes sense. I started with 10 lb XT and have never tried anything else. But I just got into it 2 seasons ago. I will say its a blast and it adds that visual element that for me makes trolling more enjoyable. I've had great success with boards and fish on boards feel like bonus fish that you just wouldn't catch otherwise. It's much easier than I thought it would be to learn.