• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jon Boat Inquiry

masoct3

Hi all,

I am looking into perhaps getting a jon boat (probably new or used if it is in great shape). Are there different companies that make these? Anything I should look for while purchasing? I know that the sizes are 8' 10' and 12'. Does one use a kicker or simply a trolling motor.

Any insight and information is great. I love this site!

Michael

they also make 14 and 16 foot Jons in the rivieted models. the all welded one go up to 20 feet. Alumacraft and Lowe and G3 are the top producers of Jon Boats. my first boat ever was a 1448 Alumacraft with a 5HP Mecury. the 1448 was rated for up to a 15HP motor. I am toying with the idea of getting another one just as a river rig and save my good boat for only lakes. If I was to buy one I would look at getting a 1648 with a 25HP prop or a 40/30 jet outboard. I am also thinking of holding off and just getting a G3 1656 Deluxe with a 60/40 4 stroke Yamaha jet outboard or maybe hold out for a 1860 with the 90/60 jet outboard. It all boils down to how much you are looking to spend and what you plan to do with the boat.

The bigger and wider the safer, have 1436 and its great to hunt out of I don't think its fish worthy though, maybe you should consider a modified v hull instead of flat bottom Jon.

Just my 2c

Used to have an Alumcraft 1436LT with a 15hp Suzuki on the back. Used it to run the river with the black lab, occasional lake fishing and duck hunting. It was light enough that I could pull it up on a trailer myself or unload and drag to the waters edge, mount up the engine and go.

Caught my largest walleye out of this boat. At the time, it cost me less than $2K for the boat, used motor and trailer. Wish I still had it to this day.

Funniest thing was, I passed up a guy in another boat one day (lighter 16ft V-bottom Alumacraft) with a 40hp merc on the back. He tied up to the dock, walked straight over to the back of my jon boat, looked at the motor and mumbled WTFSOB and walked way shaking his head. I was in tears all the way home from laughing so hard. grin

That little jon was pretty quick when trimmed properly. grin

Utah trust me you can fly in a Johnny I bet we go over 30 with a 25hp mariner on ours but it isn't to safe. Plus it has performance pods on the back so it's is in very little water when on plane

I was thinking a 10' or a 12'. Definitely a trolling motor with a deep battery and "possibly a solar panel".

Anyone use a kicker? Will it sink the rear end? I was told not to use more than a 5 kicker if need be. As well as have a life jacket and an ore.

I was also going to customize it a bit and add real seats for more comfort and a better vantage point.

If you have heard of Harbor Freight Tools, they sell a fish trailor for about $250, which is A LOT cheaper than other stores in the city. The closest location is in IOWA and they will ship it for under $100. I was at this Harbor Freight location when I was in Colorado, specifically Colorado Springs.

Utah trust me you can fly in a Johnny I bet we go over 30 with a 25hp mariner on ours but it isn't to safe. Plus it has performance pods on the back so it's is in very little water when on plane

I have a Lowe 10ft Jon ansd I have run trolling motors on them with great success and I have also ran a johnson 4 hp OB and a old Chief 5hp freeair ob motor. Both outboard motors pushed this little jon very well.

I did like the OB over the Trolling motor not sure why just did.

If you like to stand while fishing, do yourself a favor and get one of the wider models. It makes a big difference in stability.

Tracker, G3, and Lund make jons, as well as several other companies. You can find some good info on their websites.

I like to stand, but I like to sit. I just dont want to sit so low and so uncomfortable. The seats are not good for someone with two herniated disks. I was thinking of just putting in the regular boat seats via modification.

If you like to stand while fishing, do yourself a favor and get one of the wider models. It makes a big difference in stability.

Tracker, G3, and Lund make jons, as well as several other companies. You can find some good info on their websites.

I have a 2003 Lowe 1648 MT jon boat. I bought the boat and trailer as a package brand new in '03 for $2200. I purchased a '98 25 hp Mercury that pushes the boat very nicely. I can easily get up on plane and cruise around the lake at a good speed. With a 48" bottom, the boat is very stable and you don't have to worry about the boat tipping.

I'm a bass fisherman so when I bought the boat brand new, there were some definite things I wanted to do to customize my boat. I added plywood floors and carpeting, a casting deck on the front and a pedestal seat in both the front and back of the boat. With having the casting deck, I put a 40 lb bow mount Minn Kota on it and the trolling motor pulls the boat very nicely. Under the casting deck also gives me great storage in the front of the boat. I also installed a Humminbird depth finder on the front of the boat. I can easily see it when I'm fishing up front and navigating the boat with the tiller in the back. I also added navigational lights in the front and back of the boat so it's legal at night.

If you're looking for a great boat that is extremely cost effective, go with a Lowe 1648 MT. The modified v hull helps cut through the waves better than a flat bottom. While growing up, my dad had a 14' flat bottom. It didn't ride too well in the waves and was very small for 3 people to fish out of. My 16' boat can very comfortably fish two...a third person is very doable. I've even fished four people out of my boat while panfishing. That worked just fine. My boat also has a built in gravity livewell in the middle beam. I do use my boat for duck hunting as well. I bought a Cabela's Northern Flight boat blind and it works perfectly for my boat. Tons of room to have gear and mobility inside the boat while keeping you well concealed during the hunt. I love it!!

I have a Lowe 14'Big Jon with 25H Merc. I put in a front and rear casting decks and a floor. New seats, 80lb thrust Minnkota Maxum, 2 Optima batteries, on board charger and rod holders, wiring and anchor cleats.

I put on all of this stuff as the floor that it came with was rotting and no rear deck. The seats were falling apart as well and the carpet was tearing in places.

Do you find the rear a bit lower due to the weight of your 40hp?

Any mods? Can you post a pic?

(I went fishing with you once at Minnewashta last year with the sailor).

-Michael

I run a Welded Hull Crestliner 1648 Side Console Jon with a 40hp Merc.

I use it for Duck hunting and fishing.

Welded Hulls are the way to go, they are heavier but can take a beating.

I would love (and appreciate) if you could post a few pics of different vantage points of your boat. Sounds very cool!

Thanks,

MAS

I have a 2003 Lowe 1648 MT jon boat. I bought the boat and trailer as a package brand new in '03 for $2200. I purchased a '98 25 hp Mercury that pushes the boat very nicely. I can easily get up on plane and cruise around the lake at a good speed. With a 48" bottom, the boat is very stable and you don't have to worry about the boat tipping.

I'm a bass fisherman so when I bought the boat brand new, there were some definite things I wanted to do to customize my boat. I added plywood floors and carpeting, a casting deck on the front and a pedestal seat in both the front and back of the boat. With having the casting deck, I put a 40 lb bow mount Minn Kota on it and the trolling motor pulls the boat very nicely. Under the casting deck also gives me great storage in the front of the boat. I also installed a Humminbird depth finder on the front of the boat. I can easily see it when I'm fishing up front and navigating the boat with the tiller in the back. I also added navigational lights in the front and back of the boat so it's legal at night.

If you're looking for a great boat that is extremely cost effective, go with a Lowe 1648 MT. The modified v hull helps cut through the waves better than a flat bottom. While growing up, my dad had a 14' flat bottom. It didn't ride too well in the waves and was very small for 3 people to fish out of. My 16' boat can very comfortably fish two...a third person is very doable. I've even fished four people out of my boat while panfishing. That worked just fine. My boat also has a built in gravity livewell in the middle beam. I do use my boat for duck hunting as well. I bought a Cabela's Northern Flight boat blind and it works perfectly for my boat. Tons of room to have gear and mobility inside the boat while keeping you well concealed during the hunt. I love it!!

I did the same customizations to my old boat, except I used two trolling motors since 99% of the lakes out here don't allow gas engines. I had a foot switch on the front deck that controlled the transom motor. That way I could run it at the same time as the bow unit if I needed a little more speed.

Unfortunately mine was a skinny 14' flat bottom, which had the same issues as your dad's did. I soon found out that a boat that size was not good for stand-up bass fishing. Even a little bit of wind and chop made the whole thing very unstable. Your 16x4 footer sounds like the perfect size 'bass jon'.

full-26415-19512-boat2.jpg

full-26415-19513-boat1.jpg

full-26415-19514-boat3.jpg

full-26415-19515-boat4.jpg

full-26415-19516-boat5.jpg

full-26415-19517-boat6.jpg

Here you go! Sorry for the long delay in getting back to you. I had uploading issues but you should be good to go.

I love using my boat to get way back in areas where bass boats and deep v's can't go. My boat runs skinny enough in the water to do so. The back beam is big enough for someone in the back to stand on comfortably. I, as the captain of my 'ship', of course get the front of the boat when fishing and it's a great setup. I do stand up most of the time when bass fishing. I'll lean against the front seat if needed but I feel very comfortable standing on the front casting deck. The seats are nice to sit on while throwing crankbaits and rattle traps and for jigging plastics in deeper water. I also use the gravity live well as storage if I know I'm not going to keep any fish. It's a nice storage compartment as long as you don't pull the plug! I hope this helps!! Let me know if you have any questions.

You're welcome! Glad to help!

In 2003, I paid $75 - $100 for the treated plywood. Marine carpet was $25 - $50 with glue. Adding the pedestal seats with posts and bases in the floor (both front and back) was about $120 tota , maybe a bit less. The bow and stern lights were pretty cheap, maybe $40 for all of that. I took some extra pieces of plywood and cut them to fit the very back of the boat where I have the gas tank, starting battery and boat anchors. I didn't want that heavy stuff pounding right on the aluminum over years of use.

One thing that is important to do is to make sure you put something between the treated plywood and the boat. I used pieces of roofing underlayment to separate the wood from the aluminum. They have a great adhesiveness that makes it very easy to install. When I bought the boat, the dealer told me to do this because over time, the treatment in the plywood will eat through the aluminum and cause major issues to the boat. I put the underlayment under in any place where the wood would touch the aluminum.

It was a pain to do, but to install the back pedestal base I cut with a Sawzall a small opening at the base in the back of the rear beam. I then had to carve out enough of the dense styrofoam to bolt the pedestal base to the beam.

On the back beam, I did put a piece of plywood down on top of the beam for added support for the seat. On the pictures you can see I carpeted right over the plywood and wrapped it around the beam.

If you have any other questions, please let me know! It was a really fun project to do! To my amazement, the wood flooring with carpeting really quieted the boat down a lot while in the water. It was also great to no longer have to walk on the ribs of the boat and have tackle boxes and rods making what seemed to be thunderous noises on the floor of the boat when moving around. I don't like making all that noise; too easy to scare away the fish.

Boat1.jpg

Boat2.jpg

Boat4.jpg

I don't have any "before" pictures of my boat, but here are some pics I took right before I sold it 4 years ago. It's a 14 foot Tracker flat bottom jon.

When I bought it, it had 2 bench-style seats, and a little 27lb thrust Minn Kota trolling motor that must have been over 20 years old. I put in the decks, carpet, seats, replaced the trolling motor and added another, and also had to fix several things on the dilapidated trailer.

Had plans to turn the middle seat into a livewell, add an onboard charger, and some other stuff, but I ended up selling it. Like I said earlier, this boat was just too narrow and unstable for the style of fishing I wanted to do. I found that I was spending more time working on it than actually fishing in it. If I could do it over again I'd have bought one just jonboatjunkie's.