• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wacky Worm Hooks and Baits

IceIceBaby

I'm going to try some wacky worm fishing this summer and am looking for advice on what kind of hooks and what size. I'm also interested in which worms you use.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'll be fishing for both smallmouth and largemouth, but mostly smallmouth.

Thanks,

Al

I'll usually use an 1/8 ounce chomper jig or any other weedless jig. A plain hook will do the trick too for real slow fishin. Theres really not much to it just find the color you have confidence in and fish it fast or slow. I perfer the gary yomamoto worm, but theres alot of good ones out there these days.

I use 4'' or 6'' senkos. I like their bicolor one white on bottom green on top.

A poster at gander mountain suggested VMC "drop shot" hooks. Gave them a try, and caught fish. I don't know how much the hook matters, but if it does, then give the VMC drop shots a try yourself.

Along with trying wacky worm fishing, slow death rigs, drop shots, and 3 way rigging with shallow stick crankbaits are the other techniques I plan on using quite a bit this summer.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Al

I don't know how much it matters. I use the larger octopus hooks from Gamakatsu or the mustad wide-gap hooks. Both are fine. And I've even used the 5/0 hooks I use for T-rigged senkos while wacky-rigging, and that worked fine, too.