• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Marine starting/ cranking battery advice

RainyEye

My original starting battery, a NAPA battery, finally died up on the Rainy River. Anyway, I'm looking for any advice anyone has on a new one. Maybe there isn't a lot of difference , but I just wanted to check what you guys think. Thanks!

I have always just used the standard automotive duty batteries with excellent results. I'm sure there is rationale for the "Marine" labeled products so I bet you get quite a discussion going here.

I have always just used the standard automotive duty batteries with excellent results. I'm sure there is rationale for the "Marine" labeled products so I bet you get quite a discussion going here.
I thought the marine batteries were heavy duty built to withstand the shock and pounding in a boat.

I was wondering when someone would throw the "Heavy Duty Marine" out there. Now, I don't dispute that it may be true, but if it is true, how much longer under identical circumstances would they be expected to last? Would the added cost of the "Marine Duty" be offset by enough additional life to prove cost effective? Is there a properly designed and controlled study out there somewhere to back up the manufacturer's claim of additional life? Show me the data and then I will believe.

If it is true I may look into a "Marine" battery next time, depending on what it costs me in fuel to go and get it.

"I thought the marine batteries were heavy duty built to withstand the shock and pounding in a boat."

One of the most brilliant marketing slogans to date has to be "The harsh marine environment". Just as "automotive" doesn't only refer to cars. I never use "marine" batteries simply because they are going into a boat, my fishing boat has a couple group 31 batteries used primarily in heavy trucks and off road equipment, I use group 8D and 4D in my other boats which see regular severe service. The intended applications for these batteries live a much more harsh life than a boat on freshwater lakes. The cheapest automotive battery will live just as long or longer than the battery labled "marine".

How you maintain a battery matters much more than the label on the outside or the price.

As for the "withstand the shock and pounding" argument, your car battery takes a lot of abuse too as it rolls over potholes, heaves, and rumble strips. It's not sitting on a pillow wrapped in cotton. It's made to withstand the shocks and pounding of everyday driving. It's also made to still working when it's raining cats and dogs...or if you live on the coast near the salty ocean.

REMEMBER there are only 3 manufactures of batterys in the US

I think I have had most brands,and cant really see a big difference

The last ones I bought were at battery plus just cuz they were in the right price range

How you maintain a battery matters much more than the label on the outside or the price.

As for the "withstand the shock and pounding" argument, your car battery takes a lot of abuse too as it rolls over potholes, heaves, and rumble strips. It's not sitting on a pillow wrapped in cotton. It's made to withstand the shocks and pounding of everyday driving. It's also made to still working when it's raining cats and dogs...or if you live on the coast near the salty ocean.

Also read where marine batteries have heavier plates then car batteries.

Salesman told me that the dual purpose cranking/deep cycle would be better for me with a smaller outboard since it doesn't need a ton of amps to start and the electronics will run longer off of it since the deep cycle component gives it greater capacity. He said if you have a larger outboard (like 100 hp+) you should get the cranking battery. Makes decent sense to me, is this fairly accurate?

The battery you buy will depend on your motor and what else you have running off it...bilge, livewell, electronics, radio, etc.

Look up your engines specs to make sure you are supplying the engine the CCA it needs. Oh, and stay away from deep cycle batteries for your cranking battery

Deep cycle batteries are made to have a slow steady draw of power...great for trolling motors. Outboards however require a burst of juice to get them running and cranking batteries are made to do that. Obviously if you have a small outboard it might not matter as much, but if you have a larger outboard its good to have that cranking battery that it needs.