• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tachometer on a mercury 90hp 4-stroke

Trout26

I bought a new crestliner this year I noticed the other day when I had it out the tach was over 7000 rpms. I called the dealer and they said there is a dial on the back of the gage make sure it is on 6p. I checked it it was on 4 i dont see where there is a p anywhere so i turned it to 6 i took it out last night and now the needle doesnt move. So i called them back and the guy I talked to didnt seem to now much. I need some help on how to get it tuned in. The dealer is 120 miles away so I would hate to drive it all the way there for that. Thanks for the help in advance.

I turned it to 6p number 2 on the dial took it out lastnight and it still isnt reading right. I guess im just going to have to bring a screwdriver out with me to the lake and try to figure it out when the motor is running

While the motor is running. It shows over 7000 while going across the lake. Now they told me to put it to a different setting and if that doesnt work they said the tach is probaly bad. Just kind of sucks when you spend that much money and stuff doesnt work right.

Trout, Are you sure you have the correct prop on the boat? If you don't you will see the RPM's running higher than they should. If you have check that and it is still an issue you may have a bad Tach.

If it is the Tach, it will be replaced under warranty. I know that is no solace when things don't work as they should, but on the other hand, things happen and equipment breaks even when new. Don't let an issue that can and will be fixed get you down.

You will be up and fishing before long. Good luck, and enjoy your new boat.

Mike

It has a 17 pitch prop on it. Im not worried about the motor blowing up I was told if the motor over revs it will shut itself down. I changed the setting again tonight and hoping tomorrow I will get a chance to take it out. If that doesnt work they said they will send me a new one so I dont have to drive all the way up there.

Well I finally got it reading right. It was supose to be set to 12 on the back of the tach. I took it out lastnight and it idles at 700 and tops out at 5900. Im happy I got that working properly it was really starting to bother me.