• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

NCAA needs to get rid of the red line

archerystud

I love watching college hockey on an Olympic sheet but these NCAA games are just like watching the pros when you put them on the small sheet of ice. A couple of years ago I heard how great hockey in the Olympics were to watch. Give those skaters some open ice and it is, but the pro game is boring, IMO.

After watching the BC trap last night I have to start and wonder why wouldn't every team do that. Put 3 guys on the red line and 2 D on your own blue line. Offensive player either ices it, gets pummeled or coughs it up. Pretty much a pro game.

If they were to get rid of the red line it would open up center ice and neutralize the trap. Yeah you would get a lot more dumping of the puck but I'd rather have that then this stand back and let them come to you approach. You should reward the team that is the most aggressive, not the most passive.

Thoughts?

Jacques Lemaire just rolled over in his recliner after reading that... grin

I think it would help open up the game. The players are so big fast and strong the college game does resemble the pro game of yesteryear.

I'm having a senior moment here .... when did, the NHL and or college get rid of the red line as far as 2 line passes go? Or am I off on that? Actually college and international never used the red for 2 line I believe?

I'm having a senior moment here .... when did, the NHL and or college get rid of the red line as far as 2 line passes go? Or am I off on that? Actually college and international never used the red for 2 line I believe?

I don't think College or the Olymics have ever had a 2 line pass, NHL dumped it maybe 4-5 years back?

]The gophs had no answer to the trap.

I think they did ok, plenty of scoring chances but not much finishing touch, had they got 1 or 2 early we are talking about a different game. Wheels fell off end of the 2nd and 3rd.

Lemaire made some average Wild teams look good with that trap, but it still was boring hockey, IMO. Would much rather watch a game at Mariucci or the NHC where there is more room to move.

BC had a good team with a lot of talent. It was funny watching Melrose with the crayon and BC just stacked up in that little area.

BC's trap wouldn't have worked if the Gophs could have dumped after there own blue line. Would be fun to watch having 3 forecheckers coming down with a full head of steam. BC would adjust their game and still be good but it would be much funner from a fan perspective.