• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Missouri Paddlefish

What a trip. Left Saturday at 3 AM, on the water and first fish in the boat by 3 PM. Weather was great, fishing was better. We ended up with 15 paddlefish and over 100 catfish (blues and channels). The largest paddle was 72 lbs. We figure between the 15 fish it was over 700 lbs of fish. simply awesome

full-16577-19261-p.jpg

Yes they are good eating. Similar to sturgeon I'd say their consistancy is like a pork chop. Excellent to smoke, grill, BBQ and even fry (though I have to work on that recipe).

No big cats, maybe 10 lbs was the largest. But the quantity was fun. We were catching them off the dock with slip bobbers like sunfish. It was very entertaining. I tried in the river in traditional spots, but with limited success so I stuck with what was working.

I scrubbed the living daylights out of it. That way I don't have to listen to you complain! And I'm not giving your rod holders or net back until after the excursion! grin

Yes it is LOZ, but many bodies of water in MO have paddlefish stocked in them. There is no natural reproduction in that specific body of water, but when the water temp starts to rise and the river is flowing because of the spring rains they start to make a "spawning" run. Though LOZ is 90 miles long and they can be found anywhere along there.

We use a musky rod, a penn 209 spooled with 80lb braid, an 18 ounce sinker and 3 10/0 treble hooks. One guy drives, two guys snag. After 3 days of jerking on that rig you'll think you need shoulder surgery. eek

Catch and release is possible. They are big fish with lots of muscle so the hooks don't penetrate very deeply and if handled properly are easily returned to the water.