• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crappies up north

Vinny

What's a good crappie/sunnie lake up north which is big enough that it holds a lot of good sized fish, yet its got lots of islands or easy access bays so I can use my canoe without worrying too much about the wind? I wanna go up the 26th or 27th of April...somewhere I could camp/stay in a bunkhouse for cheap

How do you define "Up North"? There are tons of great panfish lakes in central Minnesota - Walker, Hackensack, Park Rapids area.

Farther north Blackduck, Bemidji, Thief River Falls, etc.?

Farther North, I-Falls, Baudette, etc..?

All the lakes are open, and the pannies are bitin'. Take your pick.

Well, for me anywhere up north is brainard and up. Last summer we caught some nice 12" crappies on elephant near Black Duck, but we sure worked for them. I'd love to go to a lake around Black Duck where we wouldn't have to try many spots before finding decent sunnies and decent crappies. I mean, between the four of us, we only caught 20 crappies withing 3 full days of fishing; not what I expected! I know there's some great lakes up there, but I'm young and that was my first experience near Orr.

Can't get up to the great fishing up north this week:(. next trip is may 17 to Ely But I'm able to go to my Aunt's place out in Litchfield on Manuella, I'll have to lower my expectations, but at least I'll be on the water! grin

Otherwise I'm willing to drive for a day trip up to a little over an hour from Circle Pines. I was up at Rush and Goose, real nice area, but I couldn't find the fish.

vinny, that's why they call it fishing. I think all of us would like to know of a lake where we don't have to try to many spots before we land on the lunkers. why don't you do your home work like looking at the dnr lake finder and look at netting data per lake. then look at depth charts and use your skills and find some on your own. pick a lake and go get em. you swing and miss, try another spot.

something really bugs me about the "I haven't got alot of time so just give me the coordinates" mentality. go find em, then they're all yours.

vinny, that's why they call it fishing. I think all of us would like to know of a lake where we don't have to try to many spots before we land on the lunkers. why don't you do your home work like looking at the dnr lake finder and look at netting data per lake. then look at depth charts and use your skills and find some on your own. pick a lake and go get em. you swing and miss, try another spot.

something really bugs me about the "I haven't got alot of time so just give me the coordinates" mentality. go find em, then they're all yours.

I disagree with you on this. He is asking a legitimate question. Not all of us can fish as much as we like and would like to enjoy some success. He's not asking for GPS data (yet), just wants to narrow the selection.

Vinny: Your wish list is not unique and bigger panfish are treasured by many of us. Most folks don't like broadcasting info, however some may send you a PM. Rich folks hire guides to shortcut the success process. Good luck.

Thanks I will try that lake soon.

I wasn't asking for a secret spot just a decent lake. I don't have a fishfinder, let alone a gps, I have a canoe with a trolling motor and a homemade chair.

I agree, the best way to find a honey hole is to go exploring, since Dnr lakefinder is pretty outdated on many lakes plus I've seen a lot of nice lakes on it that are underrated based on the netting numbers

But I was able to find some 8" pumpkinseeds out near my aunts cabin out west near Litchfield.