• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wolves...

Anyone seen the Ad opposing the wolf season? What needs done to help make sure they don't get that turnt back and keep them at bay on the topic?
I just saw it too about 1/2hrs ago! I said oh Jeeez here we go! Pull on the heart stings a little more! Maybe we could get some money together and run an ad showing some pets and calves chewed on! smirk

yup, thought it was pretty heart tugging myself, lol... yes, they are neat animals. So are deer, all critters need management, and if there populatin can support it, a harvest program should be in place to keep them in check

If thats the way they want to play, then fine, here is the solution. During firearm deer season, every hunter, yes, EVERY HUNTER that is in the woods that sees a wolf must shoot it. Don't take it, move it, touch it nothing, just shoot it, blow its head off if possible, leave it lay and keep your mouth shut. When this number is added to the 400 the DNR has allowed to be taken the wolf problem will be solved. Not that it needs to but this state can survive without wolves as easily as it can survive without a population of T-Rexes. It will save a bunch of taxpayer money and court time not having to deal with the constant litigation associated with the lawsuits brought by these groups. Don't forget, shoot them all.

Well if there is no Wolf hunt this year as suggested in todays sports section, we will see if the Anti's take the credit for stopping it with their TV ad's. When it's really because the politician's can get their job done! smirk

If thats the way they want to play, then fine, here is the solution. During firearm deer season, every hunter, yes, EVERY HUNTER that is in the woods that sees a wolf must shoot it. Don't take it, move it, touch it nothing, just shoot it, blow its head off if possible, leave it lay and keep your mouth shut. When this number is added to the 400 the DNR has allowed to be taken the wolf problem will be solved. Not that it needs to but this state can survive without wolves as easily as it can survive without a population of T-Rexes. It will save a bunch of taxpayer money and court time not having to deal with the constant litigation associated with the lawsuits brought by these groups. Don't forget, shoot them all.

Wow, I am not sure how to respond to this post, if you are trying to be funny, I don't see it. if you are serious, please stop hunting then. The last thing hunters need is a reckless person out in the woods shooting at random animals with complete disregard for the law. "Poacher" would be too nice of a term to use on you.

Agree, yes their ads are to get under your skin as much as anything, let them blow thousands on their ads, anyone see the interview from Orr with the cattle farmer, shoot,shovel,shut up. There would likely be even way more of them if that practice wasn't in place in places. They love that it gets under our skin, they love to try to infringe on what we love to do because we can't make it a 2 way street. We can't spin it around back on them or at least very well, they do want us to act like idiots. Just remember they truly don't care about all animals big and small, you bet they set mouse traps in the fall if they're infested, you bet when they hit a skunk on the road they aren't turning around to bring it to a vet and they aren't fighting that we can shoot striped skunks year round, they don't care that the oppossum is nearly extinct in my county where it flourished a few years back. They also are willing to blow thousands of dollars on ads for wolves when they could've contributed those dollars to support the greatest mammal, people. That's how twisted they are, people mean less to them then critters. They don't care about your livestock so they jump your fence and slaughter your new born calves, you're infringing on their territory, they don't realize they are doing the same at times indirectly. Keep the ads rolling !

THis is the exact thing the anti's are looking for. Noone should fall for this as we are way above it. It would only hurt the sportsman all the more to do what you suggested.

May want to rethink this.

I was invited to a archery hunts that the anti's were at protesting and they had thier protest signs and the news channels were there. All the hunters had to attend a rules seminar before they could be in this hunt and every hunter was asked to please not talk to or do anything to these anti groups as that is exactly what they are there for is to insight the hunters and have them do something stupid and have the news channels get ahold of it. Then the sportsmen look like the donkeys.

No doubt Harvey, take the high road and teach every kid you can that predator numbers do need to be held in check and instead of going back to the DDT days, hunting can be effective in a few ways, $ for the state, income for people making a few dollars off of it and it's programs and keeping a balance between people and predators, we're way past letting mother nature take care of it. Just look at the population of the state over the last 5 decades. It aint goin down.

I am not sure how anyone who promotes shooting any animal out of season can consider himself a sportsman. You do that and you name should be added to the DNR's wall of shame list.

I think that if the DNR would have opened a season the 1st year with say 100 max licenses, this could have been passed with alot less in regards to opposition. It may get passed but with alot of opposition.

The anti's can see that they were protected and now we can have a season and shoot a bunch of them.

I am not saying it would hurt the population any by shooting 400 but it does not look good for the DNR to say let's go and whack a bunch right after they are delisted.

upnorth, you are right on the money.

Personally, I want to see wolves remain in Minnesota, BUT they have to be controlled. No one should have to worry about children or grandchildren being at risk roaming around an acreage. Wolves are major predators and have to remain afraid to mess with humans. So do black bears and the occasional mountain lion that moves through the state. This goes beyond livestock losses quite a bit in my opinion.

When it comes to livestock coyotes are a far worse economic problem and wolves will actually clear them out. It may be robbing Peter to pay Paul, but I say wolves are easier to control. We don't seem to ever come up with consistently effective controls for coyotes, but we certainly have for wolves.

When it comes to wild animal economic damage neither of them causes the expense that whitetails do, even considering the economic rewards of deer hunting seasons. Neither of them carry deer ticks either, which from what I read, are almost never found unless whitetails are frequenting an area. I have a co-worker who gets deer ticks while mowing his lawn and has a daughter they have been doctoring for lyme disease for some years and cannot clear it up. Several other co-workers have had bouts with lyme disease, too. It seems to me that it takes whitetails to spread and maintain the deer tick populations that spread it.

A little balance is needed in this, not just for wolves but for how we have to balance our own populations, which aren't getting any smaller, with the wildlife that nearly all of us value highly. IMO that wildlife would be poorer if we eliminate the wolves. It would also be richer if we did a better control on coyotes and whitetails, too.

i agee. i've been hunting deer both with bow and firearms since the early 60's. now primarily firearms. in all that period of time i have seen less than a dozen wolves while hunting in my stand. i hunt north of Duluth. i have also seen two wolves that were shot by someone in that period of time also. so shooting wolves has been done and i believe is being done currently.

if wolf hunting is only allowed by those on stands than very few will be shot. i think trapping will get most of them if not all. i respect and like wolves personaly but i do believe we need to "control" the population when needed. people need to be able to protect their property [domestic pets and livestock] and their personal safety also. good luck.