• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Kicker size?

low277

I have a lund tyee 4.9 and am looking to add a gas kicker motor, mainly as a back up in case my main motor has trouble miles from anywhere. What size would I need to push my boat 5 - 7 mph. It might not be fast but at least I can get back.

Any thoughts?

Guys I know with that size boat are happy with a 25hp, much better control with the extra power.

A 9.9 and 25 will both push his boat at the same max speed. A kicker can only push a boat to hull speed and no more. The shorter the boat the slower the hull speed.

I have a 28 foot boat that weighs 10,000 pounds and I have a a 15hp honda kicker that pushes it 7 mph. I had the the same motor on a 22 foot aluminum boat and the max speed was only about 6 mph because of the hull speed difference.

Who said anything about speed? But you may be able to answer this, what is the hull speed difference between a planing hull and a displacement hull? I haven't been able to figure it out. Thanks

8hp-15hp will be the ticket. Probably more 9.9's out there and a bit cheaper than most 15.

He stated in the original post he wanted to go 5-7 mph.

I do know that when I bought my pontoon that is rated for a 100 horse the dealer said to put a high thrust 50 or 60 on it because for every 10 horse bigger on the pontoon you only gain 1mph so I went with the 60 and am happy going 20mph in it vs 24 and way more $$$. Kind of same theory here but I'd defer to the hull speed post.

I'd suggest getting an extendable handle if you're going to run it as a tiller, no fun going too far with a short stubby handle.