• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

blind or no blind

kevfish1

I think you're going to get a lot of "it depends"

I know blinds can be great in some situations, and a negative in others.

I prefer being out in the elements and being a little more mobile, but I have hunted out of a few blinds, and plan on doing it a decent amount this spring because I will be bowhunting some.

I do it both ways. I always do a lot of scouting before setting up a blind and if birds move so does the blind. It's nice for less experienced hunters, bow hunters, rainy days and when you hunt with a buddy.

I've shot most of my birds with my butt on the ground and my back against a tree. But I also have 4 blinds I set up on a few properties in strategic locations for myself and guys in my group.

I started without a blind for the first four or five years but have been using one ever since. I like the fact it keeps you out of the elements but most of all that you can get away with some movement. We like to find good spots and then sit. Blinds are perfect for that.

Use the blind if needed for weather or maybe archery. If there is no rain I'm going to be out moving without the blind. Even with a bow I perfer not to be in the blind but I do use them in NE for archery only. I have taken more birds out of the blind with the bow then in it. I really just can't stay put long.

A blind is a great tool to use if bringing out kids.

The thing I like about a blind is you can get away with more movement. Last year I had some hens out 30 yards in front of me and I wanted to see what I could get away with (to an extent). I was able to turn my head, bend over a little to grab a call from the ground, and of course below the blinds window you can do all the hand moving you want. I did not even make the hens nervous. I've seen it in the fog where turkey's eyesight is hampered and I think they can't see thru the blind screens very well. I know sitting on the ground by a tree I've gotten busted by slight head turning a few times and in the blind I definately moved alot more.

I put the blind up and leave it there. I can always move it or run and gun without it.

I usually have a blind set up on their X..(the spot I have scouted and seen they like to congregate at fly down). I'll use the blind as my first spot of the morning, or all day if the weather is nasty. If the birds don't show up to their spot, I'll go mobile.

I use mine a lot, but all the areas I hunt around the metro are much too small for "running and gunning." As a result, I stay put in a good spot and wait them out, can't beat a blind for that.

If you have the space for moving a lot, your $300 may be spent better on some other equipment.

Although I've never hunted out of one, I know I've been in situations where one would really help and I'm thinking about buying one for this year. For example, there are a couple of big fields I hunt where I just can't find a good spot on the fence line to get good cover and have good visibility. However, with a blind there's a couple of great spots I could set up on to be able to see and be in what is the bird's normal path. I also think they'd allow me to keep my patience a bit better and hunt a spot longer which is never a bad thing and of course if it's bad weather they'd be great.

I've been looking at getting the Ameristep Chair blind as a small, little blind to use that would be quick setup and light weight.

I use mine all the time if I can. I take my kids, make lunch, take a nap or read a book on all day hunts. If I see or hear turkeys that are not coming my way then I get out and make it happen on foot. The amount of movement you can get away with is amazing.

what about those blinds were you roll them up and use sticks?

I've used these a lot and they provide some cover for grabbing calls off the ground and a little foot movement and they are very portable. The downside is that they move in the wind and if there isn't much leaf cover they will spook birds due to the movement. Found this during "A" season with a late spring. Left the small blind at home and had better luck.

For the first time I will be hunting from my enclosed deer stand that is 15 feet in the air. I will be bring my 6 year old boy so comfort is a must and it will also minimize viewing his movement. My only problem is that it is in an open field and turkeys will view the sky more looking for danger, (my son and I.)

I will bring my portable blind if I do get busted.

We currently have 5 pop up blinds and 2 wagon blinds set in key spots throughout a couple of farms we hunt. I strictly bowhunt, so I'll be in one of them, but sometimes the guys gun hunting still prefer to run and gun.