• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Orioles & Hummingbirds

MootScoot

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't seen anything yet of either species. Might put some jelly out this weekend just to see if something might show up. It's been so windy, it would likely empty a nectar feeder out pretty fast.

They don't show up here in north west Iowa till the first week in may. Most of the time it's on or about the 5th. Put you sugar water out in the last week of april,there are some warblers that will go to it.

Put the jelly out late last week but nary an oriole yet. One house finch seems to be enjoying it though. Usually the Harris sparrows show here just prior to the orioles' arrival and I haven't seen them yet. I purposely haven't put any hummingbird or oriole nectar feeders out as the wind howls almost every day and empties them for me. frown

The nectar is waiting. Anybody feed oranges?

I fed up the last of winter orange supply last spring when we had a massive influx of orioles. The jelly feeder has a dowel on each end for an orange half. They ate one every day for a week or two. Some preferred it over the jelly and it gave the birds one more spot to feed.

Who was that masked man? grin Sweet! They can't be far behind. Think it was the 5th or 6th last year here when the orioles showed. There were 2 meadowlarks singing in the pasture tonite as I harvested radishes. Hope they stay. smile

I saw my first oriole yesterday (May 1) at 3 in the afternoon. He was drinking at the hummingbird feeder. He hung around for half an hour or so and I haven't seen him or any more since.

I saw my first oriole yesterday (May 1) at 3 in the afternoon. He was drinking at the hummingbird feeder. He hung around for half an hour or so and I haven't seen him or any more since.

what town?