• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What's your favorite type and size of line?

ScottND

I'm new at Muskies other than them toothie varmints biting me off while I'm Bass fishing. So now I want to go after them as long as they are going to torment me anyway!!

What's your favorite type and size of line?

Thanks!

i use tuff line in 80 lb test. its easy to get backlashes out of and it casts realy well. the only thing i dont like about it is that it holds alot of water and on these cold fall days your hands can get pretty cold. i have heard some good things "but have not try'ed yet" about tuff line xp.

happy hunting
duck

I use Power Pro, I have some in the 50LB, 65LB and 80LB varieties, it cast like a dream, backlashes are easy to work out and best of all it retains very little water. I have Tuff XP on one reel and I'm not very happy with it, it reatins way too much water, and like Duck said that can leave some pretty cold hands on the falls days.

Matt

Matt,
You have "XP" and it holds water??? I would agree big time on the Tuf Line holding water, but I don't see that with the XP I have used? I like the Tuf Line and Tuf Line XP, but would not go with the "plus" except for a Jerkbait rod. I think the Plus is a thicker line and doesn't toss the lighter Spiinerbaits and bucktails very well. Tuf and Tuf XP both are thin and cast very well.

You will find the answer to this question will be exactly as above -- Tuf Line and Power Pro, If you have two reels, try both. Make up your own mind, because it seems that those of us that go Tuf, don't like Power Pro and the same goes for those that like Power Pro and don't care for Tuf Line. Both are good and won't brake, it it just a performance and handling issue, find out which one works best for you and stick with it.

I've had pretty good luck using Berkley XL in 20lb test when fishing bays up on LOW. Light line but never had any break offs. Caught a few fish in the 15 pound range using that line. Can cast a mile too. When muskie fishing or trolling I'll use somesort of braided line in the 30-50 pound test.

Good Fishin,
Matt

I could not have said it any better than duck. I use 80 lb. Tuffline. I also use neoprene gloves as the temps. drop. The best thing about being in the front of the boat during fall Muskies, the water from the line rains on your buddy in back. Wear some rain gear! Good Luck!!!!!

------------------
M. Mike

Down to Earth!

I agree, Whiplash ROCK's!

Used it a lot last year and this year on half my reels.
Got two 2000 YD reels left!
smile.gif
The Spider Wire Stealth out this year to the Public is about the same, only smaller.
Good stuff, but I have yet to use it a lot.

Heard lots of negative about Whiplash last season, but I am a fan and so are a lot of the so called Big Guns I know.
LOL
Holds very, very little water and is very TUFF.
Have many, many BIG fish on it and it wears pretty well.
Knot streanth is great and it casts a LONG way if you spool it right .
Trick is with these lines is to get them on as tight as possiable.
Then remember all lures are different in the weight and way you work them and this effects the first two or three casts when you change lures.
Hence the Professional Overrun as my Buddy Ace calls them.
If you all are ever up our way, look us up.
We can sure help you have some fun.
smile.gif
Good luck this fall.

Keep on Rock'en!

T.

www.muskytomsguideservice.com

Heya,
Lots of good lines out there...

For superlines I'd used #80 TUF line for quite a while. Worked well - knot strength was good and pretty durable.

Used Whiplash some last year and really liked it, and have been using Stealth all this season. Love the stuff so far. Doesn't backlash bad and best of all doesn't soak up water. Soaking up water was my biggest complaint about TUF line. Fine in July but gets miserable this time of year. Will start the trolling thing soon so will see how it holds up on the rocks, but I think Stealth is going to be good stuff.

I've been using #100 stealth all season and it seems about right as far as diameter goes. 100 lb test seems silly, but really break strenght isn't that big a deal (as long as you have your drag set right) and diameter is more important. In lower break strengths superlines can be kind of a problem - there's no give to the stuff so it can break on a backlash just from the shock. I know there are some out there that use 30 to 50 lb. superline but not me... Plus a lot of muskie baits work better with a bigger diameter line in front of them (believers and some jerkbaits come to mind.)

If you want to use mono, I really like Berkley Big Game or XT in 20 to 30 lb. Stren Supertough is also supposed to be pretty good but I've never tried it. I use mono casting some, and also for trolling behind boards - holds in the releases better than superlines do. Great trolling line if you aren't dealing with sharp rocks. When using mono though, especially casting, I always double up the business end with a Bimini twist...

Cheers,
RK

My vote is 50# Power Pro. Seems to work well for northerns. Casts well, but I'm still looking for my First muskie on that rod.

Muskie Tom-Nice Boat I may have to stop up for a guided trip next season.

I really like Power Pro. It doesnt fray as easy as other lines and it holds its stength pretty good. Backlashes are very easy to get out. Plus the line doesnt hold that much water. I like use 50lb powerpro.

------------------
Fish ON!

Whiplash! I talked to Berkley and they said the pulled it because they weren't quite happy with it. I don't know why. It lasts longer than most other superlines. I've had the same 50lb whiplash on my Abu Garcia 5600c4 for 3 years now. I have yet to loose 1 fish on it. I boated a beautiful 44 inch muskie on Sunday on a buzzbait with NO leader. That stuff rocks and if you see some on clearence somewhere you'll save a lot of ching and catch lots of fish

Whiplash - it was taken off the market for a reason...too many complaints - but to each their own, right!

Vote goes to Power Pro and Tuff XP. Power Pro in 80 lb seems to be the best all around line out there. Using Tuff XP on one rig this year and equally as good, although I like the knot tying better with PPro.

Wanna have some real fun - try Berkely Ironsilk in the 14lb flavor! Many Muskies, Pike, bass and walleye caught on it this year - no problems yet!

Whiplash is great stuff, but only in the super high pound test. 100lb plus.

I have 3 rods spooled with 200lb whiplash, and you could anchor the boat with the stuff.

200lb is still only 30lb diameter, and that is what really matters with any superline.
Personally any super line under 100lb is too thin for my liking. It will cause problems cutting into the spool, making backlashes tough to deal with etc.

Most any superline with a 25-30 diameter will work well. Tuff line is a little to limp for me though.