• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vertical Jigging Rod

holmsvc

A lot of really great information in this thread. It's kinda funny how the opinions run the entire range laugh. I'm in the market for a new vertical jig stick, so I really appreciate all of the people taking the time to chime in.

The upper range like the SCIV, SCV, and G. Loomis are way outside of my price range, but that leaves a whole lot of rods right around $100 to sift through. I'm thinking I'll be looking for something as short as possible. My logic is that the increased length is only going to add weight and adding weight has never increased sensitivity. It's not like I'll be casting with it. I can pair it with a smaller reel to help balance the rod because it's not like I'll be having a ton of line out. Dark Cloud joked about "anything less then 7ft, feels like ice fishing", but it seems like the principles of ice fishing rods are applicable in vertical jigging. I plan on using either straight fluoro or a combo of braid with a fluoro leader, so I'm thinking I want a rod that will be a lighter weight than a M or MH to account for the lack of stretch.

At the end of the day their sure is a whole lot of factors involved in picking the right equipment for an application like vertical jiggin.

Hello Angler, I use a 7' or a 7 1/2' medium heavy rod. My search weapon, very good for walleyes up too (?) i'll let you guess what size of fish. When i know the Big Walleyes are there, I'll grab my 6' 6" Heavy rod. That tames them down.

When the walleye can't go where he wants to go thats the rod i use.

Well thats what i do. smile

"I want a rod that will be a lighter weight than a M or MH to account for the lack of stretch"

Pick a rod that fits your use. I prefer to adjust my drag to compensate for using braid! When i first started out, i had trouble straightening out the hook on the hookset. After i got it where it would give just a little as to not straighten out the hook, it worked great handling fish up 10 #.

I prefer a 7' M. I do most of my fishing from shore, but if in a boat and the other people are using 6'- 6" rods; this puts me just outside of where thier lines are.

By the way. I love my BPS bionic blade! grin

I bought a shimano compre 6'3" med with X-Fast tip and I absolutly fell in love with this thing...It has a pretty cool "trigger" finger cut out on the cork so you can have dirent contact with the blank...I pair it with a super light Patriarch and you dont even know you got a rod and reel in your hand when using it...the price tag was right around the 100 mark so its not gonn aset you back that much either....Good luck

+1 on that recommendation! I just got that exact same rod this spring, and I absolutely love it. Would I rather have a Loomis? Sure, I s'pose. But the Compre doesn't cost what a GLoomis costs, and for the hundo I spent, I'm more than happy.

I paired the Shimano Compre with a Shimano Symmetre reel, and this is now my primary jigging setup. I started using flouro line on it as well, so there is no line buoyancy or line stretch. The energy transfer from the fish to the rod tip to my hand is better than any rod and reel setup I've ever had.