• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MN High School Hockey

Bear55

Same gripes every year, private versus public. Can't everyone just enjoy the tounament and give the boys the credit they deserve. Everyone of these kids have worked hard to get here and one deserves it as much as the other.

Years ago I had the same opinion but after working at a private school for tens years, the kids are no different than anyone else. I would say they probably have more respect and are more disipline than most.

I am hoping for a Hermantown/St Thomas final,think it will be a good game.

Go Cadets!!!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scott you forgot "offensive" smile

and can someone tell me why a school like Northern Lakes gets bumped up to AA but St. Thomas and Breck get to stay in A!! and yes I know about enrollment but cmon this is getting to be a joke!! BSM moved up and they seem to be doing just fine!

and Go Spuds

Think of it this way, Northern Lakes is a bunch of schools that pulls kids from all over and ends up with high enrollment numbers. St Thomas is one school that pulls hockey players from all over but keeps its enrollment down.

St Thomas needs to win 4-5 strasight before the MSHSL may even think of moving them up a class.

To me, if a school wants to stay very small, yet recruit players of thier choice from all over the state, then they should have to play in the AA tourny.

Not real fair to the smaller schools that bring thier kids up through the years and then have to compete with a few schools picking the better players from the area to play for thier school.

A few years ago after 1 team won the state championship in 1 sport, I wrote down the names of all the players on that team. Then I researched those players to see where they all came from to go to that school.

They were not even players from a close area but from all over within say 150 miles of that school.

I will say I am not against anyone choosing to go to any school public or private but I see that it is very hard for a school in class A to compete with some of these private schools that recruit players.

It is amazing that some of these private schools can continue to make state in numerous sports every year without recruiting. If that were true, then there must be sonmething in the water at the school to grow complete athletes.

Its not a true school championship anymore but a tourny of the best team who can recruit the best players to thier school. Gone for the most part are the school teams who have a great program in any sport that works hard for years to win the big one. Yes, it can happen but likely will not.

Private Schools in class A doesnt bother me cause it is a JV tourney

Hermantown should opt up, great program year in and out and can compete with anyone in state, Why do you think Mike Randolph and the hounds dont play them?

Ill take Eagan to Win AA and Hermantown in A

No offense Harvey, but it’s that kind of thinking that gave us this gawd-awful split tournament and hosed everything up.

Want to be crowned the champ then beat the best.

I am all for one tourny and one state champ. I do not agree with the 2 class toruny or private teams being able to recruit all thier players and then play in the class A.

All I am trying to say is if we have to have a 2 class tourny, make the schools that recruit the majority of thier players play in the class AA side. Thats all.

I have been watching the high school tourny since 1967. I loved it when the smaller schools Like Roseau, IF and Warroad to name a few came to St Paul to take on the big city schools and then beat them. That was when the tourny was great. The days of Larry Ross and IF coming down and doing what they did was awesome. I remember Grand Rapids for another who played awesome for many years and could compete with any team in the state.

I also remember when Henry Bouche played and they almost won it all but he got injured in that game I believe.

Those were the days.

Those were the day's weren't they? And the thing about those day's was the northern teams had an unfair advantage over the southern teams due to the length of ice time. It was all outside back then and the northern teams had a month, or more, ice than the southern part of the state but you didn't hear the southern teams complain and try to bust up the tourney.

I remember playing Duluth for the state bantam championship and they come down here with three solid lines with three sets of defensmen while we have two lines and three defensmen, they killed us. We had not had a practice or a game for about three weeks prior to the state tourney due to a lack of ice while they were playing the entire time.(not an excuse, they were just flat out better)

Now the programs that weren't even in existence back then are the ones that got the tourney changed while the old programs like Roseau, International Falls and Warroad just sucked it up and tried to compete.

Sigh...............

I'm picking Hermantown and East to take home the hardware this year. However, being that they are both favorites, it wouldn't surprise me if one or both get upset. East sure is fun to watch. It's too bad Minnetonka dind't make the tourney because I sure was hoping to see a rematch in the title game.

For those of you who didn't see this video from last year, I highly recommend watching it. It is definitely worth a watch for all you fans and former players out there.

2011 All Hockey Hair Team

Peroxide Jesus grin IALTO. Hope there's a 2012 edition.

Back in the day. Those treasured up north schools were recruiting just as heavy as the private school are supposedly doing now. That was OK? I believe most of the recruiting done now is more so the players getting together and wanting to play with other good players. Just maybe the school helps with reduced tuition? I don't know. Those up north schools were using jobs for parents.

Back in the day when I was running, our school was in the region with just about all the private schools. I didn't curl up in the corner hugging myself. I worked harder and beat everybody they brought in.

1 class for me please. Not every kid needs a ribbon.

That's my team. I went to hill. They are a great programn. You all can get mad about recruiting. Get over it. Ep, mintonk and wyz all pick from 3,500 students. That bigger then any pool hill will ever recruit kids from. St thomas, you are laughable to be beating up on the class A teams, you too hermantown. Man up. If your team name isn't Hifanated with multiple town names, get in AA.

"]That's my team. I went to hill. They are a great programn. You all can get mad about recruiting. Get over it. Ep, mintonk and wyz all pick from 3,500 students. That bigger then any pool hill will ever recruit kids from. St thomas, you are laughable to be beating up on the class A teams, you too hermantown. Man up. If your team name isn't Hifanated with multiple town names, get in AA.

Not quite sure I understand your thinking.

Yes, the bigger schools do pick from a larger amount of students. They also play the class AA tourny as required.

I guess they could split like Edina did once and have east and west.

I believe there is quite some difference from recruitng and picking from your students in school.

I do not expect anyone from a private school to understand this thinking.

So you are saying a small towem like Hermantown should play class AA. Why??

How many kids come from the Hill Murray youth program?

Saw the video...Very funny stuff!!!!

I give Moorhead the nod in the game between them and Eagan...Moorhead is bringing a much stronger hair presence! grin

I'm picking Hermantown and East to take home the hardware this year. However, being that they are both favorites, it wouldn't surprise me if one or both get upset. East sure is fun to watch. It's too bad Minnetonka dind't make the tourney because I sure was hoping to see a rematch in the title game.

For those of you who didn't see this video from last year, I highly recommend watching it. It is definitely worth a watch for all you fans and former players out there.

2011 All Hockey Hair Team

">

I didn't know who to root for, Hill or Maple Grove. The head coach of Hill use to be my Bantam coach back in the day and the head coach of Maple Grove is a good friends brother, who I've hunted with many times.....guess, I can't lose either way! Hill won-now I pull for Hill until later.......

GO Cougars!!!

I don't get worked up about the whole recruiting thing, its done all over the place going back many decades and most of it is the kids wanting to play for a better shot at state, what do ya do.

I just don't care for class A privates mopping the floor with public schools when they should be playing AA. People use to complain about Warroad several years back but look at them now. Same with Redwing, they use to be an A power but no small public school can sustain that forever. Hermantown has been good for a while too but I doubt it lasts forever. Can't really say the same thing for STA and Breck, they have been at it for a while now. 10 years from now I hope I still don't have to watch them playing for A championships.

Quote:
Yes, the bigger schools do pick from a larger amount of students. They also play the class AA tourny as required.

You need to keep up with the times. Eagan just stole Lakeville North's Goalie from them and are now set in goal for the next 4 years. Happens all the time in non Private schools.

to say they play as required is laughable to say the least.

Hill was recruiting back in the 70's. They went after 3 guys that I played with. They stayed put and we had some very talented teams.

A guy I played jr's with had his son recruited by STA. He went and won a State championship. He was happy at the time and has a great memory for life but he also wish he would have stayed with his friends he grew up with.

The good programs recruit whether they are big or small schools. If you think that every kid on Edina or Duluth East actually lives in that school district you are living in a dream world. I have seen it start at the squirt level on up.

There is 1 player on STA and 2 on Hill that I have coached. I wish them all good luck and told them to enjoy the experiance but I cannot cheer for a private school. Just the way I am.

Go Spuds they look good!

They are looking good, up 2-0 now. They haven't had the high end talent in recent years but if I recall correctly they have pulled off some nice update in recent tourney play. Might be another one in the works.

Wow, I feel bad for the Eagan kids right now. They looked to me like twice the team with half the goalie. But, it’s a team sport. What do you do?

I would personally love to see the MSHSL figure out a way to eliminate sections. I know, I know, I’ve heard all the arguments about why they have to keep them, but I just feel that the State Tournament should be a showcase of the best of the best in the state. When you have five teams in the same section that are all ranked in the top ten in the state, it just doesn’t seem right to me. Then you get to the state tournament and you have blowouts. Big school, little school, recruiting, not recruiting, metro, outstate… All that has it’s place and good arguments. I would just like to see a pairwise ranking or something to get the top 16 teams in the state from either class A or AA to compete in the greatest showcase of high school talent in the country.

Gotta stick with sectons. Awesome tournamets to have.

If hill had a school district, you wouold find a lot of kids that go to school there thatlive near there. Public schools recruit, or parents at least move to communities where there is better teams. I don't know how much there is recruiting vs parents just sending their kids there. I gurantee you bill lechnar is not calling kids to ttend hill.

St thomas is a bunch of whimps