• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MN High School Hockey

Bear55

I went to Hill and now live in Maple Grove, and I have to admit, I'm glad that Hill took it to them. Pretty amazing program they run there quite honestly. Keep in mind this is a younger and smaller team at Hill than at MG, and not all kids grew up playing in the same youth program, as Hill has no true feeder program like a MG or Centennial for example.

Interesting story on the recruiting aspect:

I was at Champps having a beer while getting an oil change a couple weeks ago and chatted with a guy there who grew up in Thief River Falls. He grew up playing with Wyatt Smith and between 7th and 8th grades (about 1990) Smith's parents got jobs at Marvin Windows in Warroad and they moved. He said public opinion at the time that it was totally a recruiting move to land Smith in the Warroad program.

Take is as you wish, but the point being there is all kinds of "positioning" with who plays and lives where across the state and in public school districts that goes on, it's not a new deal or a Metro only deal.

During my time at Hill our best player was Craig Johnson, who went to the Gophers, Olympics, and 10 years in the NHL. He came from Como Park, not exactly a hockey power. I'm sure he was seen as being recruited, but here's a clip from his MN Top 100 player profile, the quote comes from a player a year older than Johnson, Pat Schafhauser.

*** St. Paul’s Como Park neighborhood wasn’t routinely producing top-flight hockey players in the late 1980s, so Johnson was a bit of an unknown commodity when he showed up for Hill-Murray tryouts as a sophomore.

“He came out to the first practice and started skating around,” Schafhauser said. “Obviously the speed was easy to see. People took notice pretty quick. They were like, ‘I’m not sure who he is, but I’d sure like to get to know him.’ ” ***

It's kind of hard to say a recruited player can be called an "unknown commodity", eh?

Anyhow, good stuff to watch and still the best high school tourney around, even with 2 classes! wink

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't read through all the thread, so if it's been brought up, ignore this. What do you guys think of an All-State game? AA Champs vs A Champs? That would be some pretty good hockey, and seeing those smaller schools win would be awesome. smile

I think we are seeing one heck of a tournament right now!! I mean if you can't get through your section who's to say you won't lose in the first round!! Case and point Eagan, Maple Grove and Duluth East is in the battle of their lives as I write this down 1-1 after 2 periods!! The only thing I would change would like others have said is to have AA and A champs play that would be fun!!

South should be up 2 to 1. Real good game.

This randolph kid looks pretty weak compared to kloos and toninito. Randolph just gets the nod to play suck hole.

Good game.

By the way, I did play for lechnar.......most of the hill recriting rumors were durring the godbout days. That family did a lot of recruiting for the team.

BTW - that was the first time I have seen Lakeville play this year. They have a lot of talented players on that team. Listening to the pregame hype you would think that it was going to be Kloos out there by himself. The kid is fast though eh?

Scott, was Gordie Genz still coaching then? He had 2 boys that were older then me and 1 that was younger. All 3 were good players.

I was impressed with LV also.

This is what I can a weight gain weekend because I will be sitting on my a$$ for 3 days eating and watching hockey.

AA games are more entertaining so far, 1A games should be good tomorrow. Better match ups.

Gordie left in 94. So I missed him. He was my phy ed teacher for a year tho. He was a special guy.

I was just thinking the same thing. Lv and de looked way faster and flat out better.

Lakeville was just awesome the last 2 periods. That game coulda been 6 to 3. East was getting lucky to be in it.

Is is jus me or is coach rudolph a real sly looking fellow. Looks a little sleezy.

At the end of the game they were saying Edina/BSM was the game of the day. It was pretty boring for about 2 periods. I might be biased toward Lakeville South, but, the Lakeville/Duluth game was a lot more exciting.