• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Morneau done?

GFNER

Did anyone hear any news of this? I was listening to KFAN this morning and did'nt catch the whole story but they were lamenting on how sad it was that Morneaus career was probobly coming to a close 10 years early because of post concussion syndrome.

Mauer to first and Wilson Ramos to catch unless he gets kidnapped again and he bats clean up, that's right we thought we had a prayer to take out the yankee's and got Capps for him. Start stretching those legs Mr. Butera. I wonder what shape Butch Wynegar is in ? or Laudner or Brian Harper or Henry Blanco or Junior Ortiz ? Now we're the M boys ? Haven't heard that report. Maybe Selig will want to contract us again. Just another reason teams are drooling to play us again this year. We are now the pirahhna's without teeth.

I'm saddened by his statement that he may be done soon because he is too young to be forced into this situation. I don't wish that on anyone.

I will applaud him if he chooses to retire. I hope he can overcome it but let's face it, it is a kid's game. No amount of money is worth risking your mental health like that. Especially considering he should have enough money to get by in early retirement.

I'm saddened by his statement that he may be done soon because he is too young to be forced into this situation. I don't wish that on anyone.

I will applaud him if he chooses to retire. I hope he can overcome it but let's face it, it is a kid's game. No amount of money is worth risking your mental health like that. Especially considering he should have enough money to get by in early retirement.

+1, I seen the interview and it put a lump in my throat. Justin wants to play, but atleast he is being realistic about it. If he starts to suffer these issues again, he is going to shut it down. Too painful too work through and realizes what it could do to his life after baseball.

I saw this comming last year,He seemed like he just didn't want to play Or even try!!!

Surely you jest, jentz!!

Sad news to hear....but, in no way is trying to be a tough guy (even if they let him) worth the rest of his life with brain damage.

I thought it was good on Morneau's to throw it all out there and let us know whats going on. At least he's being honest.

I also have a strong feeling he might be done. I can't fault a guy who with post concussion issues being scared for his health. He's got a lot of life left and you can't mess with the brain that much.

That head to knee or knee to head in Toronto, we haven't had the old twins team back since that collision. Things have spiraled down since then.

I agree, that really was a turning point. It was arguably the most complete team we have had in a long time before that mishap. Morneau's numbers were beastly up until then, and he tends to get hotter as the season goes on, so who knows how far he/we could have gone that year? From a nearly sure-thing MVP that year to this...so, so sad. I hope he makes the right decision for his health, though. People who have never had concussions are quick to criticize, but it is not a "play through the pain" scenario. It just doesn't work that way.

Here's the latest, right from the horses mouth:

Justin Morneau gives some clarification

FORT MYERS, Fla.

Twins first baseman Justin Morneau made headlines on Friday, when he held his first media session and said that if his concussion-like symptoms continue there “won’t be a career.”

But Morneau clarified those comments this morning, saying that while those symptoms could end his career, he doesn’t expect them to.

At first, he joked when asked if he heard about the frenzy he created on Twitter, asking, “What’s Twitter?” but then got serious about clarifying his original comments.

“Somebody told me,” Morneau said. “I think there was a lot of positive things we walked about. I was asked a question, I gave an honest answer and that was it.You don’t have to be a rocket scientist to figure out that if the stuff continues I probably wouldn’t be able to play again. It wasn’t anything other than stating the obvious.

“I also said that I don’t expect that to happen. I don’t anticipate that to happen. That’s something that’s in the back, maybe five percent, of my mind. But you have to, obviously, you have to look at all the options and everything that’s happened. You kind of look to see what you want to be beside a baseball player when you’re done playing. Sometimes you have control when that is and most of the time you don’t. Most of the time guys are still trying to play and either their body doesn’t let them or whatever it is or there’s other guys coming along. One of those things where I was wondering what I would be if I wasn’t a baseball player.”

Morneau has been getting through workouts just fine so far, but said he still hasn’t been told whether he’ll play in the club’s Grapefruit League opener against the Rays on Saturday.

But he had an encouraging sign yesterday, when he hit a homer off left-hander Francisco Liriano during a live batting session.

“I’d never hit a homer in that, especially when they weren’t telling us what was coming,” Morneau said. “I think I’ve done it once when they were still telling us what was coming, but I was more encouraged by the fact that I was able to react when we didn’t know what was coming. That was the positive I’ll take out of that, whether the ball goes over the fence or not. It’s a bonus if it does. But to stand in there and react to a fastball — he was throwing pretty firm — I’ll take the positives out of that, and try to ignore the slider I missed by four feet.”

Yeah... when the guy who couldn't hit a beach ball the last two seasons, hits a bomb off of what many had hoped was supposed to be our "ace".... well, it's going to be a long year.

We will be lucky to be 10 games under .500. Waiting for the biased Twins fans to jump on me...

I was at the game sitting even with 1st base when Justin dove for the ball that brought back the concussion symptoms. Hopefully he wasn't fully recovered because if that's all it takes to cause symptoms, his career is done. I hope that is not the case. The year after he won the MVP, he would have won it again except for his poor performance in September. Then he was on pace for another MVP season when he got the knee to the noggin. He can carry this team better than anyone elso on it if he's healthy. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

We will be lucky to be 10 games under .500. Waiting for the biased Twins fans to jump on me...

Biased Twins fan says: How on earth could you ever think the Twins will have that kind of a record? Thats closer to .500 than I would have guessed. grin