• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Modern Bass Rods

Saint Paul Dan

Pardon the potentialy uninformed qustion here, but are bass rods being constructed with a more moderate action in general? I feel like x-fast action rods with a majority of the bend occuring at the tip of the rod was desired not too long ago... Now I watch bass fishing shows and it seems like everone is using moderate action rods with the entire rod bent like its a fiberglass rod. I understand that different applications call for different equipment, but it seems like the trend is towards more parabolic rods in general. Am I on something or onto something?

Dan

I think its maybe in the materials having much more flex under the load of the fish. Most my rods are fast or extra fast. I think they hold true to their ratings when bent against the floor. Under the weight of a fish and angler pulling against each other they flex deep into the rod. my crankbait rods are mnoderate action glass rods. They have a much more parabolic action when flexed against the floor than my jig and worm rods but still have about the same flex when fighting the fish. Also the length of the rods is getting longer and longer. You watch a show and the guy is fishing with a 7 and a half foot flipping stick with a ounce flipping weight and no stretch braid attached to a 5 pound bass. That rod will look very parabolic opposed to a 6 and a half foot jig and worm rod with mono and a 1/4 ounce weight.

bass rods definitely are not being designed with more moderate actions. Bass rods today are designed to be more technique specific hence the reason you might see the moderate action. Anytime you watch a pro throwing a crank bait you will definitely see a more moderate action. If you watch a guy who is flipping you wont see that moderate bend as much.

Not an uninformed question at all. A very perceptive one actually. I think Larson's right in that you'll see rods with moderate or mod-fast actions a lot if guys are throwing cranks, topwaters, or other treble hook reaction baits. Low stretch lines, long casts with sophisticated reels, all call for a a rod with some forgiveness for the sake of keeping fish hooked if nothing else.

I still like x-fast rods for bottom contact stuff like jigs, for pitching plastics - basically anything I'm working with the rod tip (lipless baits being the exception to that rule) but for cranks, topwaters - even spinnerbaits a lot of the time - I've really come around to more moderate action rods, or at least mod-fast. I've started using graphite/glass composite rods for almost all my cranking, and glass when I'm not using one of the composites. Lose fewer fish, cast farther...

Muskie rods underwent the same kind of evolution when superlines came around. We went from short pool cues to longer, lighter tip rods in a hurry.

Like the others have said it really depends on the technique being utilized. Although it seems that depending on the rod company the action ratings can differ a fair amount even though they say they are the same. Also companies are starting to make there flipping/punching rods more moderate so that it resembles a fast, mod/fast, or even a true moderate action and not a pool cue. Short amounts of no stretch line and there has to be more flex in the rod, since the line isn't going to. These have been my personal observations anyways.

Bass_Blaster you can find some reviews on Power tackle rods on TW. Also from what i have read about them on other forums like TT is the only problem with them is once you buy one you will want more lol.

I read it on TW but that's about it. Also, I read warranty was only 1yr. Ever since I could remember, I jump from mfg. A-Z and kept a few abc rods but always stuck with loomis. Highly doubt buying more is allowed by the budget dept....then again, i'm never content with anything.

If it wasn't for the warranty, I think I would try one.

The rods you use, not only depends on the cost, and type of fishing you're doing but?

I can depend on your phys. shape. I'm getting older; ( ok! so i'm old!! grin) have bad shoulders, and nerve damage in my hands. Most of my rods have a fast tip, and i run braid on most of them. ( except my crankin rod) I need the extra feel, and quick response to compensate for me.