• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Navionics on iphone

auggie78

After much resistance to the smartphone I have ordered an iphone. I have heard there is a Navionics app. Has anyone used that and if so how does it compare to a gps/lakechips? Any other good fishing apps that anyone knows of? Thanks

If you fish border waters you will want the USA Canada one, not the USA one. Unfortunately for you guys just getting this app you are getting hosed. I have the US NOrth app (no longer offered) and it has LOW in 1 ft contours. NEITHER of the new offerings have this.

Regarding the IPhone, well, lets just say I have both an IPhone 4S and a Droid Razr. There is absolutely no comparison between the two. I use them both daily, one for work, one for personal and the Droid is HANDS DOWN a far superior device.

The ONLY thing I enjoy about the IPhone is messing with Siri. Thats it. Well, I guess the display is crisp, but otherwise its so slow, handcuffs you on everything you want to do. Have to pay for apps that are free on the android market, i could go on and on.

If you fish border waters you will want the USA Canada one, not the USA one. Unfortunately for you guys just getting this app you are getting hosed. I have the US NOrth app (no longer offered) and it has LOW in 1 ft contours. NEITHER of the new offerings have this.

LOW will be HD on the phone very soon. Here is the note from Navionics.

Todd,

Thank you for contacting Navionics. The Navionics Mobile application is a combination of both the Marine database and the HotMaps freshwater database. There are some areas that are duplicated on both types of charts such as Lake of the Woods. Currently the default view is the Marine database. This is going to be changed this month. Unfortunately I do not have a specific time-frame but at the end of the month, beginning of next month reload the map for the area and please advise me if you do not see this change.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Jennifer Pereira

Customer Service

Tel: 800-848-5896 | Fax: 508-291-6006

Regarding the IPhone, well, lets just say I have both an IPhone 4S and a Droid Razr. There is absolutely no comparison between the two. I use them both daily, one for work, one for personal and the Droid is HANDS DOWN a far superior device.

The ONLY thing I enjoy about the IPhone is messing with Siri. Thats it. Well, I guess the display is crisp, but otherwise its so slow, handcuffs you on everything you want to do. Have to pay for apps that are free on the android market, i could go on and on.

By superior to the iPhone 4S do you mean in what ways? There's just way too many variables to even say such. Its true there are some cheapy Apps on Android market that may cost you money on the Apple's App store. None worth really buying or downloading in the first place. Developers realize iPhone users are more likely to pay for Apps. But iPhone Apps are way more defined and better when comparing most exact same applications. I've had my hands on the new droid razr and use to work the cellular industry and like any other Android phone its got its pros and cons but to be honest it is far from being superior to the iPhone 4S, or even the handcuffed iOS platform.

I've used Navionics on several different phone model platforms, ive found the iPhone's version to be more responsive and less buggy.

But to each their own. I actually still have the North App along with the new Marine & Lakes US/CAN and prefer the newer version to save space. But I do agree the North App has the some lake contours that the newer Marine & Lakes currently doesnt. But this is only due to updates needing to be done as the new App is being improving. Just the other week they did updates for Mille Lacs and it shows 1ft contours.

I could write a novel in why the iPhone lovers are sheep but I won't it totally takes away from this thread. Like I said its slower, way slower side by side comparisons over the same network.apple always has their ways of reatrcting ppl with their devices. I don't use navionics on the iPhone just my Droid. Never had issues. The only "buggy" problems are because there are 50 android choices versus 1 iPhone.

So free apps aren't worth having huh? Well for the same apps I can get for free iPhone users have to pay at minimum $1. It adds up. I have 125 apps on my Droid. Lots of useful stuff comes free.

I've got this app on my android. Love it. Pretty useful. I question some of the accuracy of the contours on some of the lakes but for the most part it does a great job!

QUICK QUESTION: What's the whole purpose of selecting a region to download when you can already view the lakes without downloading that region? Does downloading a region make it a more detailed map?

I could write a novel in why the iPhone lovers are sheep but I won't it totally takes away from this thread. Like I said its slower, way slower side by side comparisons over the same network.apple always has their ways of reatrcting ppl with their devices. I don't use navionics on the iPhone just my Droid. Never had issues. The only "buggy" problems are because there are 50 android choices versus 1 iPhone.

So free apps aren't worth having huh? Well for the same apps I can get for free iPhone users have to pay at minimum $1. It adds up. I have 125 apps on my Droid. Lots of useful stuff comes free.

LOL, you know your comparing a 4G network phone to a 3G network phone over speeds. As far as free apps goes there are plenty on both App stores. Apps is not a phones hardware but a product of the phones software. I find most free Apps on the Android market are pretty mediocre and not worth downloading, same as with iOS market too. So that arguement is pointless. Its just that there is more money to be made on the iOS platform currently for developers as well as minus the fragmentation.

Rooting and jailbreaking your devices will defeat the purpose of such shall you want free apps. You have thus so far provided nothing proving your phone is superior to other smartphones other then your own experience and usage. Others will beg to differ an opinion. As I said each phones has its pros and cons and i'll leave it at that. The Droid Razr is a fantastic phone aside. Even better with the Maxx version.

But back on topic. Whether be it any smartphone Android or iOS Navionics is a must have app at such cost.

Can't say about the "98" question, but 5g would probably mean 5 feet deep and it's a gravel bottom. The "g" just turns up too close to the "5" on the map. I like this tool - for $10 it's a keeper. Nice way to plan what spots to hit on a new lake, as well as getting a good sense where you are on the ice.

I've read alot of really bad reviews in the apple store. The main complaint was, the map quality and accuracy has declined since the latest update (beginning of January) can anyone confirm or deny this?

LOL, you know your comparing a 4G network phone to a 3G network phone over speeds. As far as free apps goes there are plenty on both App stores. Apps is not a phones hardware but a product of the phones software. I find most free Apps on the Android market are pretty mediocre and not worth downloading, same as with iOS market too. So that arguement is pointless. Its just that there is more money to be made on the iOS platform currently for developers as well as minus the fragmentation.

Rooting and jailbreaking your devices will defeat the purpose of such shall you want free apps. You have thus so far provided nothing proving your phone is superior to other smartphones other then your own experience and usage. Others will beg to differ an opinion. As I said each phones has its pros and cons and i'll leave it at that. The Droid Razr is a fantastic phone aside. Even better with the Maxx version.

Yes, I do realize the Razr is 4G LTE and the IPhone is only 3G, but I should have been more specific. Even when both phones are in 3G or I am connected Wifi to any one of my networks the IPhone is noticeably slower downloading. This is purely showing the limitation of the speed of the processor NOT the network speeds.

I never talked about Rooting or tethering or anything, which I have tried that I really have no interest in voiding my warranty or support through updates.

When I am talking about free apps, I am talking about something like Angry Birds for example. On the android market its free, Itunes its $.99. It wont break me, but why would the very same app cost money on one versus the other? only for Apple to make more money. That's just one example and there are hundreds like this I just picked that one because its the most popular game.

Nitpicky things about when typing the letters on the keypad do not change size to show caps or lowercase. Thats lame.

You also have to configure an Itunes account to do anything in teh store which requires you enter a credit card. At least the android marketplace lets you browse, then if you want to purchase something you enter your card.

My favorite feature of the IPhone since I better mention one is Siri. Its a riot seeing what "she" comes up with.

I've read alot of really bad reviews in the apple store. The main complaint was, the map quality and accuracy has declined since the latest update (beginning of January) can anyone confirm or deny this?
The only thing I know changed for sure was the border waters area between MN and Canada (comparing the US NOrth version versus the USA version now available). They took away the 1 ft contours for all of those bodies of water and include useless maps now.

Someone mentioned an update is coming that will resolve this though. I am happy I am "stuck" on US North for this reason alone. I could care less if I get any updates. All the lakes I fish are 1 ft contours.