• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Clam Lake - Worth Fishing??

Heading up to a buddy's cabin on Clam this weekend. He claims and maps confirm that it's very shallow, deepest "hole" is 10-11'. Anybody know if this is worth fishing (primarily tip-ups for walleyes/pike/bass) or if not, if there is a nearby lake that is? Not asking for spots, just a lake worth fishing. We can find our own.

If Clam is worth fishing, how is the ice??

Thanks a million. Happy to share south metro and/or mille lacs spots... [email protected]

Had a couple of friends that were getting a few walleyes earlier this winter out there (talking about Clam just south of 70) but the fishing slowed down and they haven't been back for a couple of weeks now. They were also catching a few catfish along with the walleyes and even caught a brown trout. I'd have to say it's worth giving it a try and you might run into some crappies out there. If you do, there's some nice ones to be had.

I don't fish it much, but my dad lives on the lake. I was up there week and half ago. They were getting walleyes in the 10ft on west side midway-3/4 down towards south end, there will be group of shacks there. Early they were getting eyes straight across from this spot on a sand bar on east side, 4-5ft of water. Other spots is s.e. corner where river comes towards point or north side where river flows out. There was about 14" then and cars were driving. Lots of little northerns will keep flags popping all day. Otherwise heard there was night crappie bit on Viola where there is a bunch of shacks. Good luck, I didn't get to fish much when I was there.

Thanks, Were heading to the upper/lower clam in siren. I assumed that 10 foot hole and or point would be the way to go but it's always nice to hear others say the same. Upper and lower clam are also considered flow age aren't they, given the streams at either end? Anybody ever try fishing near the mouth of either?

If you are going to be up there this weekend, I apologize in advance for the 12 of us haha.

Upper and Lower Clam used to be one of, if not THE best panfish lakes in the area. It has fallen off in the last 6-8 years or so. I am not sure what the deal is pressure, lack of weeds, carp, too many nutrients, etc. There are still some nice panfish to be found but they are fewer and further between. You can still go out and get a bunch of tip up action on northerns. Not much size but you'll stay busy.

Follow up report from the weekend. We covered a large area with 30+ tip-ups and only ended up with 6 or 7 pike, a bullhead and a handful of decent perch.

Others on the lake said you can get walleyes but we didn't see one in 10+ hours of fishing.