• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lake of the Woods Morson Fishing Reports by Tolen's

Will be making my first ever winter trip up to morson next weekend. I've fished up there in the summer quite a bit decided to try it in winter this year. Will be staying at a cabin on the mouth of the big grassy river by morson, any info on where to try would be great! Will have sleds up so it will be easy to get around but will have the kids (5 and 8) so don't wanna get to far away either. Mainly looking to catch some crappie and walleye.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome Matt G

Man you must be staying within a half mile or less of my place!

If you have fished summer reefs for walleyes, the same reefs are often good in the winter. We usually find them off from the top in 14-19 feet of water, but also have been catching them entirely off the reef in 22 feet on the flats, but very close to the reefs. Watch for crappies there, too! And be ready for a big pike, they are biting like crazy this year.

You may have to work your way around ice ridges but with the new snow there should be more spots to cross them.

We'll be up there next weekend too. I have a bunch of non fishermen who mostly drink beer, but it's our 20th annual trip without missing one!

If you have a marine radio call for Wild Thing on Chan. 10.

See you up there!

Got home late Tuesday after four days at Morson. More snow than we expected. Little hard to get around. Did well on walleyes Friday night on Mylies Point. Saturday there was a Fisheree on the lake and it was packed from the narropws to Waldron Island. We tried a few other spots and did well on nice fish. Planned a trip to WFB for Sunday but we had a total whiteout all day long. Monday was beautiful and we fished nearby and did extremely well on walleyes. Best depth was 18-24'. Red glow jigs with a minnow head produced the most fish and #3 nickel/red Swedish Pimples also were good. Didn't get to try for crappies - ran out of time. Reports were a lot more snow up in Miles. Won't get back until mid April.

Fished Thursday afternoon, Friday and Saturday. Thursday was best, caught walleyes on a popular reef. Friday moved to find solitude so our guys could play the boom box loud. Did okay. Lots of nice 17 inchers on this trip, good avg size.

Saturday was slow, both getting out of bed and the fishing. Did manage a nice 25-incher but it was about as slow as any day this season. Others also reported slow, maybe because of a cold front.

We got another 3-4 inches of snow over the four days so there's about 12-15 inches on top of the ice now, getting kind of deep and more of a chore to deal with.

Pretty good trip, our 20th annual for this group of guys.

That may be it for my ice fishing depending on how a certain hockey team does. But lots of ice, bring your extenders!

Later dudes!

Just got back from our annual ice fishing trip. Stayed at BV in Morson. Trip was a lot of fun. Saturday we made a loop starting out by boomstick heading north through miles and then back south. Caught 9 different species of fish which was cool and enough for a good fish fry. Sunday we headed to WFB and were finally able to get on some trout. Biggest was dandy 36"er by buddy Jason K. He had a great day and caught 5 of the 8. Rick grilled up the trout that night and they were fantastic! Had plans to head back up to WFB on Monday but woke up to a pretty steady rain which lasted all day. Travel conditions were bad. Fished in portables close to Morson and managed to get into some walleyes, perch and plenty of tulies. We headed out Tues AM but some guys stayed and fished and it sounded like they did well on eyes and perch. Great trip, looking forward to boat fishing in June. Gotta imagine the slush and snow will be gone by the weekend hopefully making travel a bit easier for any guys heading up.

just got a report of a hot crappies bite in miles bay ..the guys also had a good run of walleyes in the afternoon over by sunset channel .. travel by sled is tough .. lots of over heating .. wheelers or truck travel ... fishing derby on Saturday is moved to Morsons government dock 9 to 1 oclock

full-39664-18715-101_0215.jpg

There are so many more plus video I will throw a youtube out later..

We fished in 17 to 26,27 feet of water... caught bass, crappies, pike, saugers, tulibee's and The WALLEYES all in the same place.. had on a big musky could not get it up the hole ... the head was bigger then the hole cry It was a really great day to end my year of ice fishing ... if you are still goin out please be carefull

WARNING ... local guides are saying the ice is not safe .. I just got back from checking out a truck that is sitting in about 2 1/2 feet of water in the narrows south of Brule island... the ice has really changed in the last 24 hours .. STAY SAFE

Robert thanks for the updates. It was great to visit with you last wkend. In my opinion, Morson is the hidden jewel of LOW. If anyone is looking for a great resort in the middle of great fishing & hunting, Tolene's Pelican Landing is it. Give Robert a call and he'll give you the straight scoop. Where else can you drive to and catch Walleye, CRAPPIE, MUSKY, NORTHERN, LAKE TROUT, BASS,JUMBO PERCH and a few I'm probably missin. I'm not talkin 1 or 2, but lots of each. In the 7 years I've owned my place, I've seen moose 4 times, wolves, deer, bear, fox, not to mention the birdlife. Whats not to love about Morson. Many days either in my boat or on my snowmobile I don't see another sole. I sure would like to here from others about how they feel about the Morson area. I also can't say enough about the residents I've become friends with. By the way, fishing last wkend was great until the rain & slush showed up! WFT

hey all

Got the boat in the water today!! grin Made it out to the first RED marker on the Big Grassy River from Camp.. I nosed into the ice and could break through if the need be... Checked out in front of Mylies Place theres open water by the ramp and then 500 feet give or take of ice then open water at the gap on the point to the west .. looking at the weather forecast rain then warm by the weekend .. fishing by Friday

Hey

Theres some open water at the government dock now .. and if the ice doesn't shift you can get to the gap to the west.. there was one boat there today getting some walleyes.. in the bay here at camp you can see the pike swimming in the shallow water.. Both Alf Gate and Dean Gate have minnows .. Is it time to make a summer Morson LOTW Fishing report confused