• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pictures of your Furbearers and Varmints

The last few I've gotten down here had the mange pretty bad. I think it hit the local population hard.  Still going to give it a go because it's a tradition. 

There is a pack to the south of me, I hear once in a while. might have to try a back yard sit once everything freezes up. 

Edited by Neighbor_guy

djk thanks for going after them, I think in 2015 they are at an all time high population wise as our trailcams are stuffed with coyotes like never before, good luck, my trapping buddy used to wear chest waders when I went with assuming less scent, he'd set traps in high% spots, fenceline intersections etc. Set the trap and screen loose dirt over it and he would drill a hole by the trap and put a small piece of some sort of meat in there and away we'd go. This was quite a few years back and he even got to be on ESPN2 as like junior trapper of the year and showed his tips and tricks on there and how to set on yotes, red and gray fox, raccoons, beaver mink muskrats etc. That's really all we lol he ever did and he sure caught plenty of critters, he was most concerned with scent.

Pretty good one by the looks of it!

My lab flushed one out of the tall grass on a hunt and I dumped it as it ran by me in the short grass.  My dog stopped and had the look on her face like “What did you just do?!”  

Still have the tanned hide - of the yote that is.  And the ashes of my best girl.

40 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

My lab flushed one out of the tall grass on a hunt and I dumped it as it ran by me in the short grass.

So 2 of us were walking a narrow drainage channel about 10 yards wide full of sporadic bunches of cattails with a 10mph wind coming from our left to right. Sent my gsp down the middle with each us walking a edge. My dog who is only 10mos old locks up solid. Give him a min to just soak up what I believe is a pheasant. I go to flush and nothing moves, absolutely nothing. So I am now immediately thing skunk, racoon, etc. Small panic attack and pull my dog off the scent who is still locked up rock solid. Then I hear something start moving and its big. 1 coyote jumps out and we pepper it but it keeps going. 

Gather our thoughts and move another 30 yards and dog locks up solid again. No idea what this is but again let dog soak it up and just sit on point. Same thing nothing moves and I worry again its anything but a pheasant. Sure enough its another coyote and it bust out into the open. Keep in mind I am shooting an O/U so need to shoot quick, and reload even quicker. I get him in the @ss with the first shot and it doesn't phase him, so I shoot I again and take out the back legs. Reload and finished him off.

The first one surprised me, the fact that the 2nd one stuck around surprises me even more.