• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

FISH PATTIES !!!!!!!! show us your FAVORITE RECIPES

i usualy use small pike for all my fish patties and i'll post some reciepes later for that. but first, yesterday i made some Korean Tuna Patties which were very good. the way the recipe shows how to make the patties is simply to take a tablespoon of the mix, pat it down a little with a spoon, and form it in a circle with the spoon. so they turn out bite size. next time i make these i will make them the size of burger patties like i make my pike patties. putting them on a bun with with tartar sauce, tomatoes, and lettuce.

Korean Tuna Pankakes

1 can [5oz] can of tuna in water

1/4 cup of diced onions

1 clove of minced garlic

1 tsp salt

1/4 tsp black pepper

1 egg

1 tsp sesame oil

1 tbls flour

strain out liquid from tuna well. put the tuna in a bowl. add remaining ingrediants and mix up well. heat up a non stick pan and put enough canola oil in it just to cover the bottom. scoop a tablespoon full of the mix and put it in the hot oil in the pan, pat it down with the spoon and shape the edges into a circle with the spoon. this batch should make about 6 small patties. when the bottom of the pattie gets nice and golden brown, turn the patties over and brown that side as well. takes about 3 to 5 minutes.

the recipe was actualy called tuna pancakes because of the batter like texture of the mix, but i call it fish patties. i served mine with rice and fried mushrooms. good luck.

Dang it RH. Last night I was staring down a can of tuna, wondering what to do with it. Salad? Tuna Melt? Went with the Tuna Melt, but now I see it should have been a patty.

I bet it would be really good using the canned Albatross rather than regular tuna. Maybe mix a little crab in there? Yum!

your probably right there. we did a 10 course Korean Christmas and this was one of the side treats. i can see where smoked fish can also be used for this one. but i like to enjoy smoked fish all by itself for the most part. i just love fish patties in general and small pike is what i like to use.

Old Fashioned Fish Patties

2 cups cooked pike fillets

2 eggs

2 cups bread crumbs

1/4 tsp salt

1/8 tsp black pepper

1 small onion chopped

2 tbls lemon juice

dry bread crumbs

1 tbls grated parmesan cheese

1/4 cup vegetable oil

in a large bowl flake the pike with fork, beat in eggs. add bread crumbs, salt, pepper, onion and lemon juice, mix well. refrigerate about 30 minutes or more to set mixture. form mixture into 8 or 10 patties. dip into mixture of dry bread crumbs and cheese. in a heavy skillet, heat oil over medium high heat until hot. drop patties into skillet and fry on both sides until brown and crisp. i usualy make the patties the size of burgers so you will get fewer patties unless you increase the amount of the ingrediants or just make fewer patties. good luck.

I like salmon patties with canned salmon, but it sounds like you want to something a little more original than that. Well, I would have to say one of my favorites is a recipe I got right here on the Forum almost 5 years ago from Cheffrey. I'm not a good enough walleye fisherman to have it on hand very often, but I've used other white fish and this recipe is great. The carrot is a nice touch and panko is a super light breading I use on most of my shrimp and oysters.

dsc02073aLL.jpg

fishcakes2.jpg

Walleye Cakes Cheffrey

Fishing Minnesota Recipe Forum 4-15-07

When I make fish cakes I like to do my best to keep the fish chunky so the cakes have a little character. Here is the recipe for the ones I do at Larsmont Cottages:

Walleye Cakes

3 lbs. Walleye (broiled)

1 large carrot shredded

2 stalk celery diced

1/2 medium red onion diced

4 cups panko (bread crumbs)

2 cups mayo

1 tsp Old Bay seasoning

S&P

Bake off your fish with a little salt, pepper & olive oil. Allow it to cool prior to mixing the ingredients. I like to add the fish last and mix everything with my hands only lightly breaking it up. Once mixed I use a ice cream scoop to portion and hand patty to form. Saute in a little bit of olive oil or egg wash, bread crumb and fry. Your choice.

Enjoy!

this one is great!!! i did a search here before starting this thread for "fish patties" and "pike patties" and could not find any thread for fish patties because the search only went so far. so i started a new one. yes the canned salmon or tuna in the recipe i posted adds a tasty element to the patty for sure. but then you have to be a little creative with walley,pike, or other white fresh water fish, and the recipi you posted just says TASTY all over it. thanks for the recipe. good luck.

I dont have a solid recipe(surprise) but I have a few tips for the way I like them...

I dont care for recipes that call for grinding(too mushy). And except for Cheffreys recipe I dont like to pre cook the fish.

I typically use perch or walleyes filets and hand chop them. I like the texture of the patties this ways.

I'll saute some onions then mix that with the fish, salt n pepper, an egg or two, then some seasoned bread crumbs.

One key when useing the un-cooked fish is to keep the patties a tad thinner, right around 3/4th of an inch, no more than an inch. Any thicker and you'll have sushi centers...

thirdeye - Your pictures always rock!!!! Thank you!

I remember when Cheffery posted this, but he didn't include the pics. Nice!

My only contribution to this is whenever I've tried cakes with walleye, perch, crappie or pike, they always fall apart. I kind of gave up with the flaky white fish and eat them the old fashioned way - breaded and fried as fillets.

i also have them with rice. however at times i make them the size of burgers and put them on a toasted bun with tartar sauce and lettuce tomato and sometimes a couple of slices of bacon. and if that one isn't enough i make another one. sometimes that's a meal in itself. good luck.

Thirdeye- Please post the salmon patty recipe. I would like to see it. It's got to be better than the frozen salmon burgers that i get from Sam's.

Thanks, Huey.

Well they are not to hard to make... and using the packages you don't even need a can opener. smile

Salmon Patties

2- 6oz packages of Pink Salmon

3 Tablespoon finely chopped onion

3/4 teaspoon Creole seasoning (Tony C’s)

1/4 cup panko (Japenese bread crumbs)

1 egg beaten

Oil of choice

Flour for dusting

Mix salmon, onion and creole seasoning in a bowl. Stir in panko bread crumbs. Add enough of the beaten egg so mixture can be formed. Form into patties and place on a plate covered with waxed paper and sprayed with PAM or olive oil. Chill for at least an hour in the fridge.

Heat a small amount of oil in a skillet until hot. Sprinkle flour over tops of patties. Place floured side down in hot oil. Sprinkle side that is up with flour. Brown on one side; turn and brown on other side. Place on a cookie sheet in a 250 degree oven to keep warm until all patties are cooked. Serve with Tartar Sauce.

Walleye cakes with blue cheese aioli

For 8 to 10 cakes…..

8 oz. (1/2 pound) walleye, cooked

1 ½ c. mayonnaise

4 eggs

1 c. cooked wild rice (uncle bens in pouch works great)

½ cup shredded Parmesan (or your favorite) cheese

4 green onions, chopped or ¼ c. chopped yellow onion

1 tsp. garlic powder or 1 clove fresh garlic, minced

1 package saltine crackers

2 tsp. seasonings (salt, pepper, herbs)

2 tbsp oil or butter

Cook the walleye in simmering water until the flesh is firm, about 5 minutes, then cool.

In a large bowl combine the walleye(flaked), mayonnaise, rice, chopped onion, garlic and cheese. Add eggs and mix with a fork.

Add the seasonings.

Crush the saltines and fold into the batter until its firm enough to form into cakes.

Heat oil or butter in a skillet over medium-high heat, cooking the small (2 to 4 oz ) cakes for 2 to 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Serve with blue cheese aioli or other dipping sauce.

blue cheese aioli

Combine ½ cup mayonnaise, 1 tsp garlic powder or 1 clove fresh, minced garlic and 1 oz. crumbled blue cheese (or substitute blue cheese salad dressing)

Thirdeye,

I made your fish cakes recipe this weekend. I really liked the taste. I also had the problem with the cakes falling apart. Would a couple eggs added to the mixture help hold the cakes together?

Smoked Salmon Puppies

6 cups Peanut oil

1 cup shredded smoked salmon [i think any smoked fish would work]

1 1/2 cups self-rising cornmeal

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

1 onion chopped

1 cup buttermilk

1 egg, lightly beaten

dash of hot sauce

preheat the oil at 350 deg in a deep fryer

in a mixing bowl, stir together the cornmeal, floour, baking soda, and salt. stir in the smoked salmon, and the onion. in a smaller bowl, stir together the buttermilk and egg, add a dash of hot sauce. pour the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients and mix until blended. drop the batter, 1 teaspoon at a time into the oil. fry until golden brown. good luck.