• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Frabill suit (grey) vs Ice Armor cold weather suit (blue)

creepworm

Looking at getting an ice fishing suit. I run warmer than average and am constantly moving while fishing so I figure I should go with an uninsulated suit. My question is this, are these 2 suits comparable in warmth. They look comparable from looking at the websites but I have not personally seen or worn the Frabill. Thanks.

I wear the blue ice suit and I fish mostly outside hole hopping, it keeps me warm on the cold days, but I do wear layers.

My brother wears the vex suit and likes it, I tried his jacket on last year and I thought it was warmer than my Ice jacket, the vex jacket also felt heavier to me.

I have a suit that is made by Artic Shield and is sold with Scheels name on it. Have only used it a fews times but i think it is great, light weight not bulky at all. On the tag it says u should stay comfortable from 50 degrees to well below zero. Worth checking out before u decide.

I just got the grey Frabill suit. It is a very nice suit. I have not used it on the ice yet tho. It is great for layering. I can fit a long underwear top, fleece, and light down jacket under the jacket. That is going to be a very warm set up. I can fit about the same under the bibs.

I am looking forward to trying the suit out tomorrow.

I love my Frabil suit. I tried the Ice Armour on and ended up returning it because it was way to bulky I think. The Artic Armour made me hotter than usual. The Frabil was nice and light weight but I still stayed warm but not to warm.

Do you think that the Ice armor suit would compare warmth wise? I have worn the Ice armor blue suit but have never seen the Frabill suit and would have to drive an hour to look at one. Thanks.

I just got the grey Frabill suit. It is a very nice suit. I have not used it on the ice yet tho. It is great for layering. I can fit a long underwear top, fleece, and light down jacket under the jacket. That is going to be a very warm set up. I can fit about the same under the bibs.

I am looking forward to trying the suit out tomorrow.

If you could report back what you think after you give it a try it would be greatly appreciated. Found a great deal online and anxious to pull the trigger.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

The Ice Armor Suit will do you just fine, priced right too. The Frabill Snosuit is nice and a bit heavier, built for those in Canada for sure.

Striker Brand is a new suit on the market that floats and it's built with a lot of things an ice fishermen should love.

I have both, although when u say the Frabill grey suit I don't think u are talking about the FXE SnoSuit. I use the Ice Armor Blue suit for early and late ice, and the FXE SnoSuit for the butt-@ss cold days on LOTW, Big Winnie and Mille Lacs.

Really, the two aren't even comparable. The Blue Suit is designed to get your through normal ice fishing condx. The FXE SnoSuit is designed to get u through those momentary periods of insanity when no right minded person would venture outside, much less sit on a bucket on ice. Of course, we all are a bit insane here, right? wink I don't bother with more than one light base layer with the FXE SnoSuit, usually a flannel union suit underneath the FXE SnoSuit is all one needs to get you thru those -30 degree days on LOTW; anything more, you'll be sweating your butt off. There's a reason the FXE SnoSuit costs a small fortune - but worth every penny.

I have both, although when u say the Frabill grey suit I don't think u are talking about the FXE SnoSuit. I use the Ice Armor Blue suit for early and late ice, and the FXE SnoSuit for the butt-@ss cold days on LOTW, Big Winnie and Mille Lacs.

Really, the two aren't even comparable. The Blue Suit is designed to get your through normal ice fishing condx. The FXE SnoSuit is designed to get u through those momentary periods of insanity when no right minded person would venture outside, much less sit on a bucket on ice. Of course, we all are a bit insane here, right? wink I don't bother with more than one light base layer with the FXE SnoSuit, usually a flannel union suit underneath the FXE SnoSuit is all one needs to get you thru those -30 degree days on LOTW; anything more, you'll be sweating your butt off. There's a reason the FXE SnoSuit costs a small fortune - but worth every penny.

Ya I am not even thinking about the Snosuit. I don't know if it has ever gotten cold enough that I would need that, I usually am sweating instead of getting cold and would like something I can layer under so it would be more versatile. I am looking at what is just called the Frabill Suit. It just came out this year and looks comparable to the Ice armor blue suit, but would like someone to confirm that seeing I have never seen one. According to what I can gather from the Frabill HSOforum, the suits go in this order from warmest to least warm

Snosuit

Storm suit

Ice suit

Frabill Suit

The Frabill suit is uninsulated and that is the one I am looking at. I appreciate the other ideas but as far as the money and warmth of suit goes, I do not believe a warmer suit would do anything but make me sweat and I would probably not wear it much. Thanks

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators
without a shadow of a doubt that Frabill makes a superior product!
Correct - ALL of the popular ones like Striker Brand, Ice Armor and StikeMaster make a superior product laugh

Creep,

Where did you find those, and are other colors available besides brown? I've never seen anything but the blue/black, grey black and then red/gray ladies. I dont really need/want the heavier gray/black and also dont care for the coloring on the blue suits.

They make green/black and red/black coats as well. You can find them on most online stores.

I found them for $70. google red rock store catalog. Then click Ice Fishing on the side bar, then Ice Fishing Clothing under the logo. Not an easy site to manuever through but it can save you $70 on the coats.

The cheapest place I have seen for the bibs is Little Jims. Google Little Jims Sports. Got the bibs for $85.

I am with you on not caring for the blue and not needing the warmer suit. I also did not realize they made different colors until I started researching different suits.