• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where did all my oil go??!!

Steve Bakken

So in September I changed my oil for the first time on my 01 Honda Sabre since I bought it. The manual said 3.3 quarts with filter change, so that's exactly what i put in it. 500 miles later, in November, my wife and i were gearing up for our last ride and I thought I would check the oil. LOW. It took almost a quart and a half to bring it up to level. (and yes, I ran it up to temp, waited, and checked the level correctly). So where does a quart and a half go in 500 miles. No puddles, no blue smoke, only 22,000 miles on the bike, and the white wall in the garage behind where i warm it up has dry carbon on it but no oil. ANYONE have any ideas where it went?

I did not check it after filling it, which was stupid, but i have talked to several Honda owners who have confirmed that 3.3 is the correct amount. Also I did not screw the dipstick in when I checked it. Manual said not to. I did some research online and other owners have had the same problem with this motor. No answers yet though as to where it's going

Not sure how that one is set up, but check the air box (where the air cleaner goes) to see if there is any oil or residue in there. If the oil is being pulled through the crankcase vent it will show up there but not cause enough smoke to notice in the exhaust.