• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I had enough of waiting for first ice, and drove up to Lake Onalaska this weekend to do some hardwater fishing. I headed out from the boat ramp at Schaefer's, and found about 4.5" of good ice Saturday.

I wanted to hit one of the deep dredge holes, but the ice there did not look good, so I set up in 5' of water on a weed edge. Shallow-water fishing through the ice on the backwaters is not one of my favorite ways to fish, but it was what I had to do, so I set up and had at it.

Good call. I kept ten bluegill Saturday and Sunday each, plus one perch Saturday and two perch Sunday. None of the fish were huge, but the biggest bluegill and perch both went eight inches. No luck on the tip-up.

The bluegill had different preferences each day: a waxie on a bare hook the first day I was out, and a spike on a small pink teardrop jig the next. Both days the fish came through in waves, which is typical of shallow backwater fishing.

It was nice to be out on the ice again, especially when I'm not sure when I'll be out again anywhere with the current forecast.

Lake Onalaska is a fickle lover. Either you're sleeping on the couch, or she's loving you like crazy.

Today, we were sleeping on the couch. Reports are trickling in from all over the lake about slow action. Passing weather fronts are making fishing difficult for a lot of guys.

Ice conditions are solidifying as the week progressed. Where there was open water on Friday, now has usable ice. Execute extreme caution and spud it out if you go.

Lots of great fishing action to report. Guys are checking in from all over the lake with good information. I was at Shaffer's Landing today trying to shoot my weekly video report, but couldn't' because there was a non stop flow of traffic and guys getting out on the ice. It's long over due. Many of the guys I talked to had reports of great panfish and bass biting.

Reports of people getting out the run way lights are also trickling in. Word is they are having an excellent perch bite.

Walleye guys off Black River Beach, Jolivette Slough, and Fisherman's road are also talking bass, pike, and perch.

Seems this weather pattern has really turned them on.

Fishing has its ups and downs this week. Seems that early morning and early evening are the hot bites.

Hit and miss, but when they are on; they are on fire, when they are off, well... back to the couch.

I did manage to find myself on a nice crappie run yesterday. I had a hard time running all three rods, as it was like popcorn. Pull one out, re-bait, then look and another rod would be going off.

well eye- you could shoot me a text 608-769-7809. I can tell you where I"m at or could meet you somewhere.

Shiner dippin' depends on what you are looking for. Bass on the end of Fisherman's road across the channel, you can make the hike and fish between the islands on Shaffer's, Go on a pike hunt by Dresbach Lock and Dam to name a few.

I'm running behind, so I think I am just going to buy some bait and sit out in front of Schaefer's for the evening bite.

I'm guessing it looks like the surface of the moon out there with all the old holes, but I'm not going to have the time to get somewhere more off the beaten path...today.

Here's how I did on Onalaska yesterday afternoon--I fished the dredge hole a half mile or so east of Schaefer's, as I like avoiding crowds.

If you have small kids and want to put them on some action, fish that dredge hole in 20' of water. grin Here are a few samples of what I pulled up:

full-3973-28497-1_4_13onalaskasmallperch

full-3973-28498-1_4_13onalaskasmallcrapp

full-3973-28499-1_4_13onalaskasmallwhite

The small white bass were a little bit of a surprise; the small crappie and perch (there were a lot of them) were not. I did get a few perch that hit 8", and one that got to 9", but they were out numbered by the really small ones. The biggest crappie I got might have went 6". No bluegills.

Not a great day, but I was short on time, and I caught plenty of fish, so it could have been worse. I made up for the tiny fish today by Winona...

got some real monsters there 'eye. If you want, I know a taxidermist's number I can get you in touch with him.

Fishing report: Lake O has been hit and miss. Crappies and perch early in the morning and evening; bluegills and bass mid day. People are driving on the lake now, but I wouldn't encourage it.

went out driving around. Stopped by shaffers, 22, laderdale, and fisherman's road. Lots of slop on the water! 1/4- 2 inches of water on the surface of the ice.

Seeing that I was out and about mid day, didn't expect too much action, so just had whatever I could fit in a bucket. Saw a lot of guys spread out and moving around. Caught a handful of dinks in 2 hours of fishing and putzing around.

If you go this weekend, bring along some waterproof gear, rubber boots, and cleats- the ice is glare and slippery. Nothing is less fun than falling on the water when it is piled up on the ice.

Upside, the ice is crystal clear- so if you fish with kids, bring em along. It's always fun to watch the fish flash under the ice and kids love the extra action.

A group i belong to Coulee Region Adventure Dads is going to be tossing tip ups with our kids tomorrow. wish us luck!

Good reports reports hookncook. I will be wearing my cleats tomorrow for sure. I have not had many opportunities on the ice yet this year but am going to hit it hard in the morning with a couple other ice heads. We are going to give jollivet slough a try. Hope I will have a good report to follow up with. Good luck out there everyone.

We got into a lot of fish Saturday but the disappointing part was the size. A lot of gills with the biggest only going 7 ", Crappies were 7-9 inches. We also managed to get a few bass topside, one was a fatty almost 20". Was hopping to get some panfish for the frying pan but will have to try again another time. Tight lines everyone and be safe.

Did decent today, getting some nice crappies, gills and perch. Wasn't fast action as the fish seemed to be cruising, but would pick up a couple of fish at a time as small schools came through. Experimented with colors and baits, nothing really dominant, caught them on spikes, waxies, minnows, etc. After the freeze-up over the weekend the surface of the ice is extremely slick, bring the cleats.

Got on the ice a little late yesterday afternoon. Quickly found the crappies, gills, and perch in 14 fow. Shortly after that the wind got so bad I literally couldn't keep my equipment from blowing away. Got frustrated with the wind and called it. Tons of people on the ice yesterday with the warm weather.

Failed to find anything but tiny perch/crappies for most of the afternoon, various depths. Finally found some fish shallower in the last hour, and managed a few nice gills, crappies, and perch. White/Red spikes on a white genz worm.

On my way to the lake from the South, I could see a truck that had gone through the ice. Could see the cab poking above the waterline and what looked like the roof of a truck topper. A few people milling around it. SE of Rosebud towards the dam, I could clearly see from the road they had attempted to cross a very large pressure ridge/fault/ice heave or whatever name you use for it. Spoke with the owner of the bait shop and he said it went through yesterday. Another went through towards the main lake from Shafers yesterday as well according to him, also attempting to cross a similar fault. Be careful folks, use common sense, and drive slow enough to recognize problem ice before you hit it. Sounds like everyone was okay from both incidents.

I have been out prolly bout every other night for the last month or so and have been doing really good. That is until recently when people on the lake think its ok to move their shack bout as close as they can get to yours. That is the worse thing bout lake onalaska. Its a great fishery but as soon as you fish the same spot a couple of times there is 20 guys right there. Since the other shacks have moved by me the fising is slowly going down hill. Hopefully its just alitlle dip in the action and picks up soon but guys lacking common courtesy is straight up annoying. Ah well, good luck everybody and hopefully we can all find our own little "secret" hole....