• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Eskimo auger leaking gas

mww24

I got on the ice yesterday for the first time this year. On my way home my auger started leaking gas. I think it was leaking from the pressed in nuts in the side of the gas tank. Its a 4 year old eskimo mako auger. has anyone had this problem before? I noticed on their site you can buy a tank that straps to the auger and doesn't mount using the pressed in nuts. does anyone who has this style of tank have issues with leaking gas. the back of my suv got soaked and now reeks and it got on my shelter. I would like to resolve the problem ASAP. So any tips or tricks would be appreciated. thank you.

I have the same problem with mine. just ordered a new tank. Heard they are very quick about getting you a replacement. I used to put a old metal oil pan under my power head so any drips would be caught in that. I also recommend contacting a local fuel oil company to see if they have any fuel odor eliminator. I got a can from a buddy after an incident in my minivan and it too the fuel smell right out. The stuff I have is called ODOROUT. Good Luck.

thanks. Ill look into the odorout. I saw on eskimos HSOforum that they have a tank that only connects with straps. So im assuming that there are no nuts pressed into the plastic. I may just order one of those and rig it to fit mine.

Used my "new to me" eskimo yesterday for the first time...noticed when I unloaded it from the truck at the landing that there was some fuel leakage on mine. I figured at the time it was gas that sloshed out of the vent on the gas cap...now I read this thread and decided to look more closely at my auger. It appears that mine is leaking at the tank mounts. Thanks for the tips on fixing this!

have any of you guys had your tank off previously? i took mine off to replace gas line, when a put it back on it started leaking, just got done taking it off again. noticed that two of the bolts are shorter- go on the side and the two longer ones go on bottom, didnt notice this when a iput it on the first time, because one of the longer ones went on the side and it punctured right threw the side.

My three or four year old Eskimo auger was also leaking from one of the molded in nuts on the bottom of the tank. I was lucky enough to notice the slight difference in size when I removed the tank from the auger.

They list to types of tank kits on their HSOforum. One that was held on by straps and the bolt on type. I ordered an new bolt on (tank kit) as well. It comes complete with a new cap,grommet,line and filter along with the tank.

A very easy fix for $22.00 and change total with shipping included. I've dealt with their customer service in the past working on an even older Eskimo auger in need of a tank that was not listed. You just give them a call and a little info about the auger like make and serial number and they locate the part from stock. I'm hoping to see my new tank in tomorrows mail.

It's a plus that I keep a spare Eskimo auger on hand as well. Things break every now and then always good to have a back up!!

Piedmont Angler,

Quick update on my new bolt on style gas tank kit for my Eskimo auger. It arrived yesterday by Speedee delivery while I was at work. Got home this morning installed the new tank filled it with gas and fired it up. Let me know if you need any help or just shot the breeze.

Now I'm trying to figure out a system to drill two holes at a time!! grin

A guy I know had an Eskimo and it leaked also. He replaced a number of things and couldn't get it figured out. Finally pawned it off on someone else and he bought a strikemaster and hasn't looked back since.

Sorry, I should've elaborated the first time. It was a few years ago and I just remember him complaining about it over and over and over and over and over....

I know it's probably not the answer you're looking for but it seems like a common problem.