• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Any one incur any fraudulent charges while staying at hotel in SD?

I have a gander card that I use for "My" stuff that involves hunting or fishing etc. It doesn't get used that often and I have never had any fraud / identity theft before.

During my stay at a hotel in aberdeen last month there was a European man behind the counter and I gave him my card to pay for the hotel room (prominent hotel name ending in 8). Two days after the hotel charge went thru, someone charged a plane ticket from germany to somewhere else in Deuchland for $400. My credit card company caught this and shut down the account but couldn't stop the initial purchase. Whom ever they were tried about 4 other purchases after that and were denied.

I have only used the card for a cabelas purchase about 3 weeks prior online and to pay for the same hotel (different clerk) two weeks earlier. It just seems like too much of a coincidence. Anyone else run into any problems with a hotel out there?

had the same thing happen to me a while back while staying at a hotel in Duluth. Someone tried to purchase a plane ticket...........in China. Credit card company caught it since I set a maximum spending limit per purchase and it was denied.

Once upon a time, my debit card number (I still had the actual card) made it to Mexico without me and partied to the tune of $2500 or so. Bremer faud department contacted me but the damage was done before they got the card shut down. They did reverse all the charges but it did require two trips to the bank during the heart of highway construction season to sign afidavits. Also had to file a police report. Kind of made the Baxter police dept. scratch their heads on that one as that was the closest to the Bremer branch that was closest to my job site.

Maybe your card company filed a police report. My guess is not, they just absorbed the loss. Not a bad idea to file your own report. Maybe if they get a few complaints, they can pinpoint it.

You should call the Aberdeen Police Dept and talk to one of the dectives up there. They are good guys that work hard; who knows...maybe there is a case open already. Seems too coincidental to me.

I'll try them next week.

I just got my affidavit in the mail on Wednesday to sign (yes they are acting slow on this) and they didn't mention they were filing report. Not sure if Aberdeen police will file one, but i will ask.

It can happen anywhere. Online, in person, or even walking by a stranger. You cards information can get into the wrong hands.

I also had this happen to me. Not sure how or why. I think some people get the card numbers and they sell them online or something.

I had about 2500 take out of my account in a few months. I kept getting mail from a jewelry place saying I needed to pay this bill. I called them on it and they gave me the transactions and I looked them up in my bank account and sure enough. There it was!

Needless to say I contacted the bank and the police department. Police department can request the transaction information. All transactions show locations of where charges are made.

All of mine were made over seas, therefore they local pd couldn't trace it back to anyone.

Either way i got the money back and have been safe since.

Call your local PD department and have them get in touch with the Local pd in Aberdeen regarding the manner. Get the bank records and have the bank and pd get all the information needed to track things down. Good luck!

Good reason to not use debit cards. Once the transaction is done you have no chance of getting the charges reversed.

With a credit card you can dispute fraudulent the charges.

Wrong, Visa honors your word for charges. Mine happened on a debit card as well. All charges were disputed and won by me.