• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pujols accepts 10yr/$250M contract with the Angels

bassNspear

I wonder how they have his yearly pay broken up. I'm sure they front loaded the deal so that they are paying him the bulk of the money when he's still producing.

I have a feeling that they'll be paying him for several years when he'll be a part time DH at best.

Sounds like his deal also has a full no trade clause, something the Marlins didn't want to give him. I wonder if the Marlins are going to do what they did the last time they won the world series back in 2003. Load up on a ton of talent, win the title and then dismantle the team and trade away all the expensive assets they have. Thats probably why they insist on not giving a no trade clause.

Pujols has put up insanely consistent/amazing numbers the last 11 years. He has averaged 42 HRs, 126 RBIs and .328/.420/.617 line over his first 11 years in the majors. Nobody has put up even close to as consistent numbers over the past 11 years, not to mention, his name has never been linked to steroids. Not to mention he has averaged 155 games/season over the course of his 11 seasons thus far, which is jaw dropping to put up those big of numbers consistently for 11 years and not sustain any major injuries.

As insane as his contract is, you would be kidding yourself if you think he was going to sign a contract for anything under 10 yrs/$200,000,000. When you have the track record he has, it results in some serious leverage come negotiation time.

Don't remember now exactly what Mauer's deal is here, but isn't it similar? Anyone think these two are even in the same ballpark, talent wise?

8 years and 184 million. signed through 2018.

huge difference is pujols will be about 41/42 when his deal ends and joe will be about 36.

Its crazy in these times. What if the economy gets worse, and people just stop going to the over priced games? I guess it is stupid over priced contracts like this that may actually end up helping the small market teams in the long run. They are an injury away from having to pay $25 million a year for 10 years to a single player. I would sure like to see a salary cap on baseball. The problem is until baseball gets a new commissioner, it will never happen.

Baseball will price themselves out of the market for the average fan if they have not already.

Noone is worth what some of these players are paid.

Angels must want the 2012 world series.

Why do you say they are not worth what they are paid? Could you say that for any job? The "Market" decides their contracts.

ah no donbo lol, not even close, pitch to albert and you hope to keep it in the park, pitch to Joe and you know at least it won't leave the park especially with the dome baseball being done. Here's the deal, tie game in the 9th, do you want to pitch to Albert or Joe. You'll intentionally walk Albert and let Joe slap a single. I miss the metrodome seating prices. I will not be funding Joe's deal in person, wish I could, but can't. What is crazy some is the deficit our state is in, wait until the February report on our states status, it's always been the rich get richer the poor get poorer, no end in sight for that.

The Cardinals will be just fine with Prince Feilder. wink

Not going to happen:

The St. Louis Cardinals are not expected to sign free-agent 1B Prince Fielder (Brewers) because they aren't willing to give him a no-trade clause.

2011-12-09 11:03:44 | Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - Tom Haudricourt