• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cardinals

harvey lee

I put a feeder out last week to see if I could get a few cardinals around for the winter.

I have safflower in the feeder as I was told that would work.

When do these birds start to feed in the feeders? I was told that it would happen after the ground is covered with snow as they typically like weed seed.

Are there any other things I should do to help attract them?

Thanks

Once temps remain below freezing, water becomes a premium for all birds and critters. I keep a heated bird bath near their food source and natural cover. It works for all species, particularly cardinals, who don't seem to mind bathing even below 0. The only drawback is it creates a larger than normal crowd, which invites predators and creates squables.

Harvey I use nothing but black oil sunflower seeds for attracting birds. It has brought in just about every type of bird to include a family of Cardinals. I also have a suet feeder that I only put up in the winter months. This year I added a little heater for my bird bath but I am still still unsure if it is worth the bother. Seems like the little guys don't need it with the snow on the ground.

A heated birdbath is what brought my cardinals in and that was years ago. Now I have 3 breeding pairs + young. Most perchs on hanging feeders are to small for a cardinal to set on. Aspects makes a feeder called the Big Tube. It is designed to allow cardinals to set and feed. If you have a feeder that the perchs are to small the best thing to do is add a tray to the bottom of the feeder. The best alround feeder I have found for cardinals is the good old Platform or a fly-Through feeder. The fly is the same as platform it just has a roof is all to help keep out snow and rain. I have all four feeders, the cardinals use both platforms the most, I would have to say 40% platform 10% feeders with tray and over size pearchs and 50% on the ground were thay like to feed the most.

The list of seed is a long one. Black oil sunflower, Strip sunflower, safflower, nuts meats of all kinds, white millet , red millet, cracked corn, melon seeds, pumpkin seeds, and mealworms just to name a few.

Your feeders need to be close to cover, the cardinal is a shy bird, They are one of the first birds in the am and one of the last birds at the feeder in the pm. Water,Food,Cover = Cardinals.

The perchs on one feeder are larger than normal. I have a fly through so the feeders should work.

The closests woods or woody cover is about 50-75 yards from the feeders. maybe I am not near enough but I will wait and see. I guess they have to find it first before they return from time to time.

I planted a couple rows of bushes this last spring but it's going to take some time for them to offer any cover. I just read a tip where someone used their Christmas tree at the end of the season and propped it up next to their feeders and it brought in a lot of new kinds of birds. I just need to find someone in the neighborhood that uses real Christmas trees and give that a shot after the end of the season.

I haven't seen a hawk in my yard since I put 3 crow decoys in my trees.

It took quite awhile before we had cardinals at our feeder. We used saflower and blackoil sunflower seeds,have now switched to black sun. seeds.The saflower attracted more house finches,havent seen any recently. Make your own ground cover with some tree branches to make the birds feel more secure, watch your feeder just before dusk if any are visiting u will see them at that time. If you want action at your feeder use peanuts and feed the blue jays, they will squack everytime u are outside and their is no peanuts for them to eat. In the middle of winter we have alot of birds visiting the feeders, which also brings the hawks makes for a interesting morning watching mother nature at work. I put alot of branches under my feeders to give the birds a chance to avoid the hawks.

You can,t go wrong with christmas trees, every year I go around and beg for them. I will take our picnic table ( this year two wooden benches ) put a camo tarp over the top and rap it down and around three sides leaving one side open, now I have a lean-to ground feeder.

After christmas I go around picking up the trees and will lay them on top and all three sides. Now it,s a well sheltered brush pile/feeder. This feeder is very popular with my cardinals after the trees are added.

Once you have cardinals coming to you feeders, keep feeding year round. Cardinals do not migrate. Keep a steady supply of food and water on hand. All it takes is one young male to come in and claim your yard as his breeding area.

Come spring I take all my chirstams trees and sink them in the lake, now I have a brush pile for crappie and walleye.

Great idea, I planted a 3ft. Blue Spruce next to my deck and feeders about 25 yrs. ago and now it's about 40 ft. tall! The birds love it and it's great protection for them, every time a hawk or a shrike are near the birds head for that tree. I've also had Cardinals every year and feed year round.

I use just black oil sunflower seeds for all the birds. Cardinals love em like all the others. Cardinals don't care much for the feeders with pegs. They prefer a ledge, so a house type feeder works good if you want them on the feeder. They work the ground a lot. Most days they show up dusk and dawn but if a system is moving thru they pop in and out all day. Here's a couple shots from mid morning on the 10th. Sheesh, been feeding the birdies for dang near 40 years. Lottsa fun.

full-27930-14975-1210b.jpg

full-27930-14976-1210d.jpg

dont the smaller birds have a tough time cracking the shell on the sunflower seeds? guess that's why i never bought them seperatly. just in the regular bird seed mix. i am getting a bag of sunflower seeds anyway since many are using them.

are some brands of bird seeds better than others on sunflower seeds or any seeds in general? for some reason this latest brand the birds just dont like. i used to fill my feeder every other day and now it hasen't been touched hardly. thanks good luck.

If the little Black-capped Chickadees can handle the sunfloer seeds, I'd think any small bird could. That is a good question re: different brands of sunflower seeds. I can't see how there could be a difference, but I have no idea. I never buy a total bird seed mix as there is too much junk in there that gets wasted. The only mix I buy is sunflower hearts with nijer. There are a few good mixes out there, but just don't waste money on general or generic mixes.

Small birds have no problem with black oil. It,s striped sunflower that has a hard shell.

I use Cardinal Brand Sunflower seed, That the brand that my wholesaler carries. I have a lot of customers who will check my bulk bins to see what the seed looks like. How clean is the seed ? Are there any moths or larva in the seed ( sure sine that the seed is old ). Pick up a hand full of seed and take a good look, you are looking for small pin holes in the seed. All seed will have some holes, if the % is low, under 12 seeds per hand full it's good. Now if it,s high ( 30+) the seed is old .

Alway ask you dealer when was the last shippment and how is the seed stored. Seed needs to be stored in a cool place. The oil in seeds can trun rancid in hot weather or in a hot shed. You are looking for the freshest seed you can find. Now if your seed is old , just don,t junk it yet. Save it for spring and put it out for the common grackle aka black birds. There the garbeag collectors of the bird world.

Check the backside of the sunflower bags, The higher % of crude protein and crude fat the better the seed is. Some bags will list the oil content , your looking for over 40% oil.

A few year back I also had thistle out for the house finches and goldies. They prefered the black ouls so i got the binocs out one day to get a close up of them eating. They strip em faster than I can. LOL I have stuck thistle out once in a while but it hardly gets touched. Chickadees like to take one seed, fly to a branch and eat then return. The red bellies are funny. They take one seed to a tree and set it in the bark. Smash it, eat it and return.