• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tip ups rigging question

gvg_uwec

I have been using a mono and now flouro leaders and small treble for probably the past 15 years now (WI) but I am curious about switching from trebles to circle hooks. Has anyone had much experience with them?

I have fished lakes the past few years with growing pike populations and trebles stick in the roof of the mouth and leave the leader to be frayed during the fight and/or cut me completely off. Using flouro leaders is helping but I still need to be retie often to remove the frayed sections. My thinking is that with circle hooks would hook walleyes as well as pike on the lips of the fish more than "in" the mouth which would lead to less breakoffs/ re-ties due to abrasion from teeth.

Am I thinking in the right direction or should I just stick with my current setups?

Garrett

Just remember to give a small pull then tug, but don't "Set" the hook like you normally would with a treble hook. I think your hookup percentages will probably be equal, you'll just spend less time digging the hook out of the fishes throat. I use circle hooks for my daughter who has a terrible time setting the hook - more like a fast reel...circle hooks really helped her...Good luck.

i'v been hooked on circle hooks for years... when the fish is running just slowly tighten your grip on the line and the fish hooks itself, and i quit using leaders alltogether, for northern anyway, i still use a flouro leader for walleyes but my hookup percentage has went way up...

Good luck...

I use circle hooks a lot. I can't think of a pike that didn't get the hook in the side of the mouth. The main thing is to tighten up the line and let the fish hook itself. They take a little getting used to, but my hooking % is very high with them.

WS

What brand and size of circle hooks do you like? Also how do you hook the minnow?

I've tried different brands and sizes of circle hooks for tip-up fishing for northerns, but always had really poor hooking percentages.

When I am in waters that hold good size pike I use 7/0 size. They are big but so is the gab on a 15-pound northern. On lakes where 5-8 pound northern is considered big, I use a size smaller.

I usually hook the minnow right behind the head. With the bigger hooks the minnow seems to be able to swim around a lot better. I try and use the biggest suckers I can find. It seems the smaller northerns leave them alone better. Flip side of the coin is, I have had a couple of times when I sat for two days before I got a flag. But, when you do, it's usually a good one.

Good luck with them and give the hooks a good try. Once you get the hang of using them you will be sold.

WS

PS just noticed...I use Octopus brand

yeah man, I know what your talking about. The circle hooks do the job. They can be a little tricky at first,but I cant think of a better way to tip up rig for pike. just dont set the hook very hard or you will miss them. just lift up a bit, and ussualy it hooks them in the corner of the mouth, my favorite are 3#. Hope i helped you good luck.