• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
hydro

Taping reels to handles- What do you use?

I would like to see some ideas of how others attach reels to the ice rod handle. Myself, I use a layer of electrical tape for strength, covered by hockey tape for a finish wrap, mainly for feel. On rods that have rings, I use the hockey tape to keep the rings seated in place.

What do you use?

I make my own rods and tape the reels to the blanks with Black electrician tape. That way I can stretch it as much as possible and keep the feel right from the reel/handle to my hand.

Black electrician's tape for me, too. The elasticity is what keeps me coming back to it. Very easy to use and rock solid when a decent amount is used.

I use a couple wraps of electrical tape to hold it, then wrap the whole thing with tennis racket grip tape. My favorite is made by Wilson and called H2O Overgrip. Its soft and comfortable on bare hands, and has a warm feeling to it. Also if your hands get wet it wicks the water from your hands so they feel warmer.

I've been using it for about 5 years and even have it on a couple of my open water rods for fall use.

Cold Snap Outdoors came up with a new product called "reel wrap" Long story made short, it's strong gasket band applied with a cone. $5.00 for 4 reels worth.

I have all my rods done with these.

Interesting ideas. I use the electrical tape to secure the reel, but it shrinks over time and makes a sticky mess. That's why I cover it with the hockey tape.

Interesting ideas. I use the electrical tape to secure the reel, but it shrinks over time and makes a sticky mess.

I haven't had that issue with it. I use the same reels in winter and summer, so the reels don't stay on the ice rods more than five months at a time. Could be that's why. smile

I use plumbers tape, can be found in any hardware dept. its a strechy rubber tape that has no sticky mess!!!!

Electrician tape, and even in multiple colors. Oooohhhhhh

electrical tape. stretch it tight and use as little as possible.

I just got some of the frabill reel tape, seems like good stuff. Sticks only to itself, no sticky mess, and will not tear your cork apart.

I'm gonna start using one wrap of hockey tape on the bare cork handle, and then tape the reel on with electrical tape. So if I want to switch reels, I dont mess up the cork handles anymore from pulling the electrical tape off.

frabill reel tape first then hockey tape. Like metioned before the reel tape only sticks to its self so it doesn't damage the cork any

Interesting ideas. I use the electrical tape to secure the reel, but it shrinks over time and makes a sticky mess. That's why I cover it with the hockey tape.

Your problem is the tape you are buying. Next time look for Scotch Professional Grade Vinyl Electrical Tape 35. It will stretch like crazy but when you are getting close to finishing your wraps don't let it stretch for the final two wraps. Another tip is to wrap your cork with one layer and then tape on your reel if you swap the reel in the summer time. This way you will not pull any cork off when you remove the reel.It will also leave a impression so you can put the reel in the same spot next year.

Cold Snap Outdoors came up with a new product called "reel wrap" Long story made short, it's strong gasket band applied with a cone. $5.00 for 4 reels worth.

I have all my rods done with these.

I heard about these and discovered a much cheaper solution. Go to your local farm store and get some castrating rings! They are about two and a half bucks for a bag of one hundred and they're green too (just like the cold snaps)! I've rigged all my ice rods with them and they work great! They don't slip either. Two on the front and two on the rear.