• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Taping reels to handles- What do you use?

hydro

Go to your local farm store and get some castrating rings! They are about two and a half bucks for a bag of one hundred and they're green too (just like the cold snaps)! I've rigged all my ice rods with them and they work great! They don't slip either. Two on the front and two on the rear.

Hey, that sounds like a real winner! Good tip! smile

When I got started I was told to put down a wrap of masking tape-painters variety may work and release best-then electrical tape over that-so that's what I've been doing. Jim pointed out the Scotch brand pro stuff-maybe a buck or two more for a roll but for whatever reason doesn't get all sticky on the edges. I switched to this stuff for finishing the wrapping on my bicycles' handlebars and it works much better than the cheapo stuff.

tg

Your problem is the tape you are buying. Next time look for Scotch Professional Grade Vinyl Electrical Tape 35. It will stretch like crazy but when you are getting close to finishing your wraps don't let it stretch for the final two wraps. Another tip is to wrap your cork with one layer and then tape on your reel if you swap the reel in the summer time. This way you will not pull any cork off when you remove the reel.It will also leave a impression so you can put the reel in the same spot next year.

+1

i use the frabill tape. had a leak in the boat gas line this summer and happened to have some leftover in the tackle box. sealed it up for the weekend until i got it home and fixed the line... so, multiple wins on that one.

it does start to pull off after continual use, so this year i am gonna try the hockey tape over it to prevent the end of the strip from peeling back.

Been some great tips here guys. Next rod I buy I will put a single layer of tape under the reel as suggested. Smart idea. Over the years I have found that cheap tape(any type), and cheap spray paint do not pay off. Better to spend a couple extra dollars on a quality product. I am a fan of the 3M cold weather electrical tape.

Dave